mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Looking for my first full suspension bike

Hey everyone. Well, I'm gonna take the leap and buy my first full suspension bike in about four months. My budget is gonna be around 4500.

I'm coming from a Kona Cindercone, and I tend to do trail riding, although I enjoy climbing as well as descending. I still consider myself an amatuer... been riding for about 3 years, but I'm not THAT good lol.

The bike shops here in Florida tend to sell Giant, Canondale, Niner, and Specialized. The bike shop I'm thinking of buying from sells Giant, Niner and Ellsworth, and I'm thinking of buying from them simply because they seem to know their stuff more-so than the other shops... and they gave me a beer after a long day at the trails and shot the shiz with me. Lol.

Here's some of the bikes I'm looking at...

Niner's RIP 9, Giant's Trance X Advanced SL 1, and Ellsworth's Evolution. I'm also looking at Canondale's Jekyll and Pivot's Mach 5.7, and the Ibis Mojo HD. Unfortunatly, for the last three, nobody sells pivots or ibis's here, and no one has a jekyll so i can't test ride them. I did test ride a Niner and Giant, and am kind of skeptical about Ellsworth since I haven't actually seen one either.

Quite a laundry list, but I would like your guys' take on these choices. Also, I weigh 205 lbs, 5'10" tall.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    All good bikes, especially the Pivot and Trance...which is about the sweetest of the bunch.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"