mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Looking for help on an 01 Klein Adept Comp

It's definately exciting to now own my first FS bike. I would appreciate some help or resources on a Klein Adept Comp (2001-02) model. After reading many reviews on MTBR about the older Klein models, I bought the Adept and looking for anyone with knowledge that can help with the following or more:
    1) Bike has Race Face Crank 175 that seems to have rubbed on the frame in the past. I'm guessing that this wasn't the best fit. Does anyone know if XTR is a clean fit?
    2) The front derailer was an LX, and it's rubbing on the larger ring without being adjusted. I'm looking to adjsut and get a few rides on before upgrading, but not sure how to shop for the right size replacement... looking for literature online still, but was looking to match up with an XTR to be consistent with the rear. Can anyone help me understand better shopping for up or down shifting models or if anyone found something that works particularly well with this frame?
    3) What kind of routine maint is required on the Manitou Mars front suspension or the Fox rear Float? I'll look for more articles if that a redundant question already posted on.
    4) The bike is currently set up with XT V-Brakes, but I'm told it's disc compatible. Anyone converted this set-up in the past that can offer some experience?
    5) Are there any resources to look up a Klein serial number or access an owners manual?

Any other Adept owners out there that can share some helpful comments or resources?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Dren; 10-23-2007 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    1. no idea
    2. The easiest way to check FD size, etc is to look at it. The size should be on the inside of the clamp and if the cable comes from the top it's a top pull and if it comes from the bottom it's a bottom pull.
    3. no idea
    4. You'll need disc compatible wheels. The fork is probably a post mount, so you don't really have to worry about that. The back is either an IS mount, the 51mm one, or a Hayes direct mount, the 22mm one. If it's the IS you don't have to worry about anything, if it's the 22mm one there are a couple of options depending on location. If it's on the seat stay you can get a 22mm to IS adapter and be good to go. If it's on the chain stay, you'll have to either buy a used caliper for the mount or see if Hayes has any left, I just bought one from Hayes for my 200 Trek 6500. *EDIT*- Your frame may also have the Trek adapter mounts example. Which you can get through your local Trek dealer, or online
    5. Don't know that one either.
    Last edited by theboomboomcars; 10-24-2007 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Might help if you posted some photos of the bike, specifically the area you think the crank was rubbing (show the crank too, so we can check alignment). It could be that the Race Face crank was just not installed properly. A riding buddy of mine has an Adept Race, and he runs a Race Face Deus with no problems. Not sure what year his frame is, though.

Pictures would also help with the disc compatibility issue too. Check Klein's website for serial number information and owner's manual. They might be available, but I'm not sure.

There's no app for this.

here's the manual

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My appreciation goes out for the responses and web site reference. I'm working on a more specific picture related to the cranks. I now know the size (34.9) of the front Derailer, but now I'm working on resetting after having to take it apart... ykes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It is a sweet bike. I love mine it is green and changes color depending on the angle. I have never done anything to the rear shock. The front one was overhauled a last year. The front fork can be adjusted to be 80MM or 100MM. I think that part no longer works and it always is 100MM. The weak point of this bike is the rear triangle. It is prone to crack just in front of the rear tire. I haven't converted the bike to disc bakes. Rim brakes work just fine for me.