mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Looking for a great FS bike for XC for $2000

I'm currently interested in the Spec SJ FSR Comp. What other bikes are comparable and are worth a look? I want to explore all my options before deciding...

i'm upgrading from a RH SL Pro hardtail

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Santa Cruz Superlight used with decent components will definitely come in under $2k. Speedy comfortable bike, climbs like crazy. Better with platform shock.

mtbr member
    Trek Fuel EX 8, Kona One20, Giant Trance X3, Felt Virtue 2/3 are a few I am looking at right now, all run 2000-2500. There are a bunch of others out there, go through the specific manufacturer forums, go to each manufacturers website and see what they have in that price range for FS XC bikes.

TRANCER
    Giant Trance X3 but I'm just saying that because that's what I have and I love it You can maybe get a 2009 Trance X2 which is better spec'd for around the same price or lower.
    Ride

Professional Speed Bump
    Cannondale Scalpel 4. Don't get scared away by the horror stories of the lefty...they are as unreliable as any other major brand forks. The maintenance is a bit fussy but otherwise, a great fork...great bike. Razor sharp handling. The zero pivot system is awesome. A bit delicate tho...

BMC Trailfox 03. Funky bike with a sweet looking frame. Swiss designed... a real head turner.

Rocky Mountain Element 50. Proven frame with an excellent track record. RM bikes always gets respect from fellow riders.

Titus FTM. A bike with a good mix of XC and AM personality.

Too many to mention but these and all of the others mentioned on this thread are good choices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i'd love the scalpel 4, but thats about $2900, 600 out of my budget is a bit too much

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by skyliner1004
    i'd love the scalpel 4, but thats about $2900, 600 out of my budget is a bit too much
    I'm sure you can find a closeout similar to this somewhere: http://aroadbike4u.com/product/canno...09-49833-1.htm

TRANCER
    Notice everyone has different tastes and prefferences. What this all boils down to is that all the bikes mentioned are great bikes. All of them have their share of descent components. Make a list of all the bikes posted and go take em all for a ride if you can at your LBS's. And choose which one you feel the most comfortable in. You can't go wrong no matter which bike you decide on. Good luck
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    the thing with MTBs is that i wont be test riding them in a real world condition. i get to test ride them for 10 minutes around the block on pavement. I get to hop a curb or two at the most.

2 circles around the block isn't going to give me any real world feeling of how the different suspension systems work or how the drivetrain shifts when hammering up hills, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Don't forget Mavericks, they have some 09 frames on closeout on their website that you may be able to build up within budget. They get consistently good user feedback and climb second to none..