mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Looking for FS AM Bike, $3000 budget

I've only been riding a few months (4), and ride a hardrock disc right now. Looking to upgrade to a full suspension bike next spring. My budget is in the $3000 range, can prob go a little higher if needed. I'm a big guy, (muscular, but i've got some chunk too, currently 275 lbs.) biking has been a great contributor in my change of lifestyle, and i've lost significant weight since i started. i hope to be down into the 230-250 range by spring time, so i think i should use that as my weight for my bike search. i like technical singletrack, climbing and descending. would like to get some small drops in when i get a bit better.

i've looked into the specialized enduro sl, but am hesitant because i think shocks should be left to fox, rock shox, ect..

i'm open to any suggestions...thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wow you sound exactly like me. Although I have had my hardtail for about 3-4 years (also a Hardrock Disc). Me 6'-3" 275lbs, down from almost 300. Ultimate goal 225-230. I quit smoking about 6 months ago and started riding my bike like crazy. I even wen to Whistler in July for a week!

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a similar bike at my LBS. 2006 Enduro Expert with upgraded rear shock. The bike is still "new" ,it was on lay away and the guy couldn't afford it.I can have itfor $2500.00 out the door. I would have already bought this bike but am still working on the wife (convince here it is a good idea)

You could get an older Enduro? Hte one I am looking at has Fox shock from and rear!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks for the reply. i was also a smoker, weighing in at 315...decided that i needed a change...i've had surgeries rebuilding both my knees (ACL's) from a dirtbike accident, and gained a bunch of weight afterward because i had a hard time finding active things to do well that i could enjoy and still be good at...football and lacrosse were passions of mine but after the surgeries i was horrible at both. i spent a bunch of time on the elliptical in the gym but i hated being in one place while working on cardio/weight loss. it wasn't till this summer that i realized biking was a perfect way for me to enjoy the outdoors and workout at the same time.

anyway, as for the bike, i'd really prefer to buy new...i guess i could buy the enduro sl, but i really don't know what else is out there besides specialized...i'm looking for some other sugestions, and i'm open to other brands. i think the majority of my riding would be classified as XC, but being a heavy rider i think it might be better to go with more of a freeride oriented bike.

BTW forgot to put in my original post i'm 6' even.

40 & Fast
    Since your buying the spring then there will be more time for the strengths and weakness of the relatively new enduro to be found out.

I wouldn't shy away from the enduro because its not fox suspension. The shock and fork have promise. I have read about some problems, not so many that it bothers me. There have been issues with recent fox and marzocchi forks so no one is batting a thousand.

I would encourage that you look at different bikes other than the enduro as it is a 6-inch agressive trail bike and your description of your riding sounds more like a 4" or 5" bike would be appropriate.

All Mountain bikes like the enduro have slacker geometry / longer wheel base; which is great for rough trails and comfort / speed stability on downhills. Am bikes are harder to climb with and are not as flickable on tight trails.

4" XC bikes have quick handling climb great but aren't as fast in the rough or downhills.

The 5-inch light all mountain bikes are in between the heavy Ams and the XCs and are arguably the most versatil bikes on the market.

The Kona Dawg supreme is a good example of a do anything bike and Konas are hard to break.

The dawg also is with-in your budget range with proven parts like the fox rp23 shock which I very happy with on my bike.

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/D...EME/index.html

There are many sweet versital bikes on the market like the cannondale prophet, yeti 575, or my pick as the best of the litter but a little more than your budget, the Turner Spot.

I don't want you to think that I'm against long travel bikes. I actually love long travel bikes.
    I'm riding a turner RFX which is a beast in the rough and stable and fast downhill.

I am just recommending that you consider a more do all bike instead of specific design like the enduro as it sounds like it would be more appropriate.
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks for the great info. i was checking out the dawg series yesterday, and thought it looked like something i'd be interested in. the prophet also looks awesome...that one sided fork looks crazy. my favorite has to be the yeti though...that bike looks awesome, and i love that you can pick from a few different colors. the turner looks really nice too, and might be worth the extra...it's possible for me to spend a little more, i just chose $3000 as a starting point to limit my spending somewhat.

40 & Fast
    Your welcome

Shopping for a bike can be alot of fun and picking your parts and pieces to build a custom can also be fun.

Since your not in a hurry you have plenty of time to shop and research before you buy.

Another thing you may consider doing is a demo bike either from an lbs or online bike shop. Competitive cyclist has a cool demo program.

From my experience your budget will get you a fun to ride full suspension. There is a huge difference in efficiency / bump absorbsion between cheap FS and quality FS.

Spending less than $3000 you get more bang for your buck buying a Kona, Cannondale, Specy or what ever as they have volume buying power. Over $3000 you can do well building a custom and getting just what you want instead of what someone else packaged together based on buying agreements with their suppliers.

My new Turner has a better grade of componenets than I could have had spending the same amount on a built bike. I went to my local custom shop / Turner dealer with my wish list of fork, crank, brakes and then I took his suggestions on wheels, hubs, spokes. I had fun with the process, learned quite a bit along the way and have a fun bike that gives me pride in ownership.
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

banned
    Apr 2004

How about this one?

Quote Originally Posted by mjs3350
    I've only been riding a few months (4), and ride a hardrock disc right now. Looking to upgrade to a full suspension bike next spring. My budget is in the $3000 range, can prob go a little higher if needed. I'm a big guy, (muscular, but i've got some chunk too, currently 275 lbs.) biking has been a great contributor in my change of lifestyle, and i've lost significant weight since i started. i hope to be down into the 230-250 range by spring time, so i think i should use that as my weight for my bike search. i like technical singletrack, climbing and descending. would like to get some small drops in when i get a bit better.

i've looked into the specialized enduro sl, but am hesitant because i think shocks should be left to fox, rock shox, ect..

i'm open to any suggestions...thanks for any help.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33435

Looks like a good all arounder to me.