mtbr member
    Mar 2009

looking for a fork with a 300mm steerer tube length

Hi I have a specialized expedition (2008) that I would like to put back into commuter duty, the only problem is the front fork is shot, the issue I am having is the bike has a 230mm head tube height and nearly all forks I can find have a 260mm steerer tube

I found
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...8&category=703
    but it only has a 390mm axle to crown height, the bike came with a 63mm suspension fork, would a 390mm fork cause issues with handling and such? the bike has a 68.5 deg HTA "in the bottom position"
    Last edited by AndrewJL; 09-20-2009 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just took a quick look at the crossroads and it looks to be a 700c wheel hybrid with what appears to be an old-style 1" threaded fork and threaded headset. You need to verify that before looking for a replacement fork.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    I just took a quick look at the crossroads and it looks to be a 700c wheel hybrid with what appears to be an old-style 1" threaded fork and threaded headset. You need to verify that before looking for a replacement fork.

sorry I keep mixing them up, its an expedition same year thanks for pointing that out

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    according to the specs, that bike has a 1 1/8" Threaded headset and threaded fork. The fork you are looking at is a threadless fork for a threadless headset. You either need to find a threaded 1 1/8" fork the proper length (may not be very easy), or you may be able to change your headest to a 1 1/8" Threadless headset, then use a standard threadless fork (you'll need to get a new stem).
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I do plan on replacing the stem I have a few spares and replacing the headset. My concern is on the ac height and handleing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    To replace a 63mm suspension fork with a rigid fork on a mountain bike, you would probably want a AC around 410-420 (that's my experience from older 63mm forks from the 90s, your fork may be different). Normally I would say that going to a 390 AC would be a bad idea, but your bike is not really a mountain bike. According to the specs I found for an 07 model it has a rather slack head tube angle ( 68.5) and seat tube angle (67), so shortening the fork would actually bring it closer to XC mountain bike geo, though it would also lower the bottom bracket height.
    To be honest, I don't know that it's worth the trouble doing what you are trying to do there. Having to deal with the long head tube and an oddball 1 1/8 threaded fork/headset on a bike that really isn't worth all the much, would make me look for other options. Is there any way to get the existing fork working (put in new springs or elastomers or whatever is inside that thing), or rig the existing fork to be rigid (pull out the insides and stuff a piece of wood in there or something)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    To replace a 63mm suspension fork with a rigid fork on a mountain bike, you would probably want a AC around 410-420 (that's my experience from older 63mm forks from the 90s, your fork may be different). Normally I would say that going to a 390 AC would be a bad idea, but your bike is not really a mountain bike. According to the specs I found for an 07 model it has a rather slack head tube angle ( 68.5) and seat tube angle (67), so shortening the fork would actually bring it closer to XC mountain bike geo, though it would also lower the bottom bracket height.
    To be honest, I don't know that it's worth the trouble doing what you are trying to do there. Having to deal with the long head tube and an oddball 1 1/8 threaded fork/headset on a bike that really isn't worth all the much, would make me look for other options. Is there any way to get the existing fork working (put in new springs or elastomers or whatever is inside that thing), or rig the existing fork to be rigid (pull out the insides and stuff a piece of wood in there or something)?
    I will have to look at the fork and see if I can make it so it doesen't move, the bike is isn't worth much so if it gets stolen no great loss, I want to ride to work and school. My only other bike is a cannondale 29er and I don't want to leave it unattended.

I had hoped that I could swap the fork out and lighten the bike up a bit and get rid of pedal bob but due to the head tube length that's proving difficult