mtbr member
    Apr 2010

looking for a cheap replacement frame for a 2005 specialized hardrock

i have a 19" frame, and i'm looking to go down to a 16". i'm 5'6 and i'm just finding it uncomfortable. i'm open to any style frame, just something really cheap. i don't want to throw a lot of money into the bike, so i'm trying to find something that the majority of my components fit without having to go out and buy new parts. it's disc, so the new frame would have to be also. here's the specs for it..

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...4&menuItemId=0

another thing, the fork is a dart 2, the original broke and this was laying around. i probably want to stay in the 150 range, i'm not looking for anything great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Motobecane 600HT for $134.95 should fit the bill nicely. http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1878

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Only things I can see not transfering are the front derailleur and the seatpost. The derailleur on the Hardrock is a bottom pull, and the Motobecane is designed for a top pull. Also, the seatpost on the Hardrock is a 30.9 while the Motobecane is 30.0

Apr 2007
    Look at Performance Bike Access frames. Less than $100. Nashbar and Price Point also have cheap frames.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Just bought a Nashbar frame about 5 minutes about for $102 out the door. I had to pay $7 or so in tax since I'm in NC so it would be even cheaper for others. Going to build a single speed for the wife for her b-day and have virtually all the needed parts 'in stock'. 21% off ends today though...hurry.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedone31
    Motobecane 600HT for $134.95 should fit the bill nicely. http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1878

Better yet, the older version that uses a standard headset (like the Hardrock) for one less part to have to buy. Just a seatpost and front derailleur, and it's $30 less.
    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1849

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    what's the cheapest front deraileur i could get away with using?

Former Bike Wrench
    Deore...probably find one cheap online or on ebay

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Yep..Deore, LX, or X7 will all work and probably could be had for $30ish if you shop around. Your LBS probably has something out of the box if you are in a hurry. Make sure you check the pull (bottom or top), clamp placement (hi or lo) and clamp size.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Bluepoint still has leader frames on sale. 510 for about $70 and 516 for $90ish
    I bought one of each a month ago and they look pretty good, light also. I'm 220# and have been beating on it without any problems.
    I got the 510 for the wife and liked it so much ordered a 516 for me. Between the two I would probably get myself a 510 if I was to do it over again. Can't really tell much difference other than tube shape, and I like the round top tube of the 510.
    I was also getting it to change to a smaller frame size, went from a 19" to a 17" and the bike is a ton more fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hmm.. thanks a lot, thats another option too. i was looking at my frontt derailleur, and it says m510 on it... so i looked it up, and saw that it is convertable from top and bottom pull. is this definitely true? and if so, how do i do that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ok nevermind, found the manual... yeah, its a dual pull. sweet, one less thing to get. so all i realistically need is a seat post

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i ordered the 600ht frame... the older one, and they refunded me today....apparently ran out blah. can someone direct me to a cheap headset for the newer 600ht?
    Last edited by ou2mame; 04-13-2011 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    so i ended up with a nashbar frame... i haven't ridden it yet, just finished adjusting the gears and whatnot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails looking for a cheap replacement frame for a 2005 specialized hardrock-dsc_6828.jpg