mtbr member
    May 2011

looking for a bike. advice?

I'm new to the forums and have been roaming around them for about a month now.
    I'm looking into purchasing a Full suspension mountain bike.
    Iv been riding for a little over a year now at markham park in South Florida with a friend of mine who's spare bike Iv been using and now want my own so I wont have to depend on when he wants to go.
    The bike Iv been riding is a Giant medium frame fitted with rock shocks.
    iv been shopping around the net and have been looking at the Sette line on Pricepoint.com
    more specifically the Sette Derro and Sette Flite
    my other question is other than price what is the comparison between rock shocks and fox shocks?
    I'm all for suggestions on other bikes or brands so your $0.02 is welcome.

my budget is about $2000 (including pedals)
    cheaper bike means i get it sooner.

Thank you

T.W.O.
    With your budget I'd look into giant trance x or yeti 575. They are great bikes. There are too many to list now but you can look around.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the yeti 575 is only $1,900 because its just the frame. I'm looking for a complete bike. that would be about $3,500 minimun for the yeti, and the trance looks to be a good bet.

T.W.O.
    Actually, look for 2010 model I've seen some deal under or at 2k, same goes to trance x, Cannondale rize, Tituss some model. I think you can do better than sette with 2k, if you are open to used bike then you can get Ellsworth, intense, santa Cruz even ibis.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i'v had some of my friends tell me to get a specialized FSRxc base model and just buy the disc breaks for it coming to a grand total of $1,500 and my friends FSRxc is a fairly light bike for stock other than breaks. i would be putting weight into account now that i think of it cause the bike i ride is fairly heavy just not knowing of the true weight. what would be considered "light" for a bike around this price range all-mountain

T.W.O.
    Anything under 30 lbs is good, up to 32 lbs. Any heavier you'll feel it. Under 28lbs would be light. Anything else on the frame can be upgrade later on down the road, the 3 major bucks would be frame, fork and wheelset.

If you have a good frame the difference between a based model and top shelf is components. You can have a decked out components on a lesser design it still not going to be better bike. It's not about brands either some big brand do produce less than avg bike.

mtbr member
    Look no further!

You wanna check the GT Sensor 4.0 out at just fourteen hundred bucks! The Sensor has great reviews and comes highly rated. GT makes MTN bikes that challenge the best of the best!

Good Luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails looking for a bike. advice?-g_2011_sen4_wht.jpg  

looking for a bike. advice?-g_2011_sen4_blk.jpg  

Last edited by MoabiSlim; 06-03-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    no offense moabi but i'v looked at the sensor and the fact that it has suntour shocks frighten me. i'v read that they are not too great and when compaired to the bigger brand shocks makes them look like toys. if it wasnt for that id be all for it.

Apr 2007
    I'd strongly suggest buying local. Fit is very important and it's nice to be able to throw a leg over the bike you're going to buy. Can't do that with online stores.

mtbr member
    It's hard to get good advice about what bike to get from people who don't know what kind of trails you ride or what kind of riding you expect to do. "Markham Park in South Florida" doesn't mean much to most of us here.

Your first decision is probably whether you want a hardtail or a full suspension. No one can tell you which you want, unless you plan to be a downhill racer, and no one can even give you an informed opinion without knowing what you want to ride. Your next decision is probably 26" or 29" wheels. There is an endless amount of info/opinions on both questions in the forums on this site.

$2000 is plenty to get you a fabulous, capable first bike, once you have a general sense of what you're looking for. No doubt you could do it for less, esp. if you decide to go hardtail. If I were in your shoes, I would not be thinking Sette, I'd be thinking used if I had a good sense about the right frame size or LBS if I didn't. YMMV.

Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by everydayskid View Post
    no offense moabi but i'v looked at the sensor and the fact that it has suntour shocks frighten me. i'v read that they are not too great and when compaired to the bigger brand shocks makes them look like toys. if it wasnt for that id be all for it.
    Fair enough friend,

My bad____

PS.

Always wondered about those suntour shocks...
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!