Quiet Professional

Looking for a bike 2500 or less. How about Scott genius 40?

Talk to me about this bike. I am wanting a bike I can do all mountain and downhill. Maybe drops up to 10 feet or more. There ate some things I like about this bike. Both shocks have 3 settings and lockout. Jucy 5 are ok but would like to hear what you have to say. What else should I look at for a 6 inch or more travel.

Sent from my thunderbolt using tapatalk pro.

mtbr member
    What are you doing jumping off houses The Scott is a good bike but not for 10ft drops you will need a free ride bike something more like this. Where are you riding?

http://www.bikemag.com/blog/giant-dh...010-race-bike/

Quiet Professional
    I am in the dfw area in Texas. I will be rising all over Texas, north Carolina, and maybe a few other places. I guess I am looking for an alp mountIng bike that can handle big hits and drops. Might not be 10 foot drops but might be 10 foot jumps in the air off ramps and might be drops.

mtbr member

Ureka!

Got your next bike, right here!

Looking for a bike 2500 or less. How about Scott genius 40?-11_dakarxct1.jpg

Dakar XCT 1

Looking for a bike 2500 or less. How about Scott genius 40?-12115.jpg

Trek Rumblefish
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

Quiet Professional
    Well I have decided on 6 inch or more travel. Some bikes I can afford for all mountain that might be able to take big hits are the Scott genius, Santa Cruz heckler or nomads, giant reign, but open to others in this price range. I would love a giant faith or glory but weight and price and gears might not be right.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I own a Scott Genius 40 (since Feb 2011). It's a great trail bike, and I love how it climbs, but I wouldn't do any drops more than 3ft with it. If you really into an AM bike you should consider the Genius LT (40) which has more than 7 inch rear and front travel.

However, even that is not the right bike for 10ft drops or jumps. There's a nice article on singletrack.com on the LT which also explains why the Equalizer shock is just not made for big drops.

Quiet Professional
    Thanks for the article. I had been looking at the lt but still unsure. It is pretty hard finding a bike to take big hits and also be able to keep up on the technical and climbs. I have bumped my budget up to 3k if there are any other suggestions. It looks like I will need an all mountain for the family rides and a dh for the big hits. A 5 foot drop is not much for me and would like to be able to do that on my am bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Thanks for the article. I had been looking at the lt but still unsure. It is pretty hard finding a bike to take big hits and also be able to keep up on the technical and climbs. I have bumped my budget up to 3k if there are any other suggestions. It looks like I will need an all mountain for the family rides and a dh for the big hits. A 5 foot drop is not much for me and would like to be able to do that on my am bike.

I don't know what to tell you about a big hit bike to do all. Your best bet would be to look for something in the 5in to 6in range
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...x1/7324/44707/
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/....1/7323/44548/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    To the OP. I'm in the middle of getting a new bike too and its becoming a real mess. Sounds like you want one bike to do both extremes of the spectrum. Family cruises and 10 footers. Compromise is the word of the day. For what it's worth, don't sweat the numbers too much. Any "big hit" bike will go up hill, but not all "trail bikes" will drop 10 ft. Just find one that won't kill you on the way down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdOlkadn4E4
    Mongoose nugget. Freeride bike. 100mm rear travel. Go to 2:50 if you're really worried about what modern bikes can do. And some technique and skill. :-)

Quiet Professional
    Wow so many opinions. Here is what I have it down to. Giant reign x1, Scott genius of, and Santa Cruz nomad. Which of these would fit my needs the best. If I can't do 10 foot on these want least 5 feet. Later when I get better and wqnt more will purchase a second fb or freeride bike.

mtbr member
    I would get the reignx or the santa cruz they both have better parts and they can both take 5ft drops. The reign will probably take drops better.

mtbr member
    The skott parts compared to the other 2 suck ass

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I personally love my bike. I hit some farely large hillside drops. They don't land me on flat ground and have a bit of a transition for the landing. I'd have to guess the distance between them is around 6-9 feet. I've cleared some good gaps at about 10-14 feet. I know most wouldn't consider this much, but I would consider myself new to the sport.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/...ntain/range-3/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    why not consider a Trek Remedy 8. great component group at a reasonable cost. what i really enjoy about the Trek/Fisher mountain bikes is the availability of the of the DRCV fox rear shock. i wont go into a technical description here. but in short it has great small bump sensitivity of a small canister air shock, and the big hit compliance of a extra volume canister with the weaknesses of neither.

and if you wanted a more downhill oriented geometry i would consider the Trek Scratch Air 8

Unfortunately i can't post the links yet as im new here but if someone could help me out with that it would be much appreciated

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm puzzled

Well I am new to this sport but used to race bmx. I am looking at getting Scottt genius 50 2010 or maybe an spec. epic expert. Now don't bite my head off on my novice post but I used to hit jumps and land from higher than 5' for shure with a $400 dollor hutch back in the late 80's. Sooo why for $2-4000 for these elite bikes nowdays do they say they are not made for it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Shortly - because bmx and mountain bikes are made for different purposes and therefore have completely different designs.

A bmx bike is constructed for speed (fast changes of, not end velocity) and agility, to do jumps and tricks on a half pipe or a bmx jump park, has smaller wheels but also a much shorter wheel base (as you know for sure). A mtb is (was) primarily designed for riding in rough terrain offering suspension and control even on difficult surfaces. Also, there are many different types of mtbs, depending on the purpose. A downhill does have no problems with big drops but is no fun to ride uphill or XC cause it's heavy. Freeride bikes are slightly lighter than downhill bikes, offer similar stability and are good for more technical stuff like jumps and berms, but are still heavier and therefore slower uphill than all mountain bikes. These days, there are some AMs that are offering both lower weight as well as stability and suspension, but you'll find them mostly in the upper price range.
    And although you can ride an AM bike in a bmx park, there are some jumps you shouldn't try due to the larger wheelbase (speaking from my own, painful experience ). Hope that does answer your question somehow!

Btw, $400 in 1980 equal more or less $1500 today

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you for the info. Like I said I'm new to this sport and am learning more everyday. I understand the inflation from1989- 2011. But with that, there has been an extreme amount of research and technology thrown at this industry aswell! What I'm getting out of these forums alot is that one particular bike is not made for that or this etc.....So for instance, I buy a spec epic expert or a scott genius 50 both of which have pretty good components that is more or "made" for xc. Then take it out on trails and happen to see a jump that will take me above 4' that the bike is not made for and it will break? I understand about geometry (wheel base, frame size, larger diameter wheels.......) But don't understand why these new technology bikes that I am looking at seem so fragile. I'm not sailing off roof tops or dropping off cliffs and have no need for, or the buget for a $6-8000 DH bike. But would occasionally like to catch some air and be confident that the frame and components won't fall apart after spending that kind of money. $400 for a bike was alot to a kid back in 89 or 90 but I never worried about it cracking on me. I guess what it all comes down to is for around $2-3000 a guy should not be affraid to buy a bike made or spec'd for xc and be worried whether he will kill himself when he jumped high a couple of times. Or maybe I'm reading way to much into all of this. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    also looking for a new bike although not in thousand(s) range was thinking about cannondale's trail 5 but i am open to looking at comparable bikes. any advice btw, i am 6' bout 190-200lbs