mtbr member
    May 2005

lookin at bikes.....forget the mongoose pro zero g3?

bike shopping for used bikes..........im a big guy.....6 4 240......i want a bike i can basically just trail ride on....nothing crazy, no jumping (at least not on purpose lol). I really dont want to spend more than 400......less of course for right now, then maybe another bike down the road if it becomes more of a habit

so to my question.......ive found a mongoose pro zero g3.....large frame......it actually had pretty good reviews in ur reviews section....super cheap, like around 150..... would this bike serve me or should i look at more of a trek, or raleigh. I dont know much about bikes so i cant be fixing them if it constantly breaks down.

i read the reviews and i was thinkin about buyin it.....then i did a search of the forums and now im rethinking it. Its an upper price mongoose but is it still no good, help guys i have to decide very soon

mtbr member
    Mongoose makes a whole line of bikes that are more expensive in case you wanted to go that route: www.mongoose.com

The thing about breaking bikes is that it's generally not the frame that breaks first. At $400, you'll be hard pressed to find quality parts, but you will get a few. Look for Shimano or Sram parts where it counts - cranks, derailleurs, shifters.

The bike will be heavy but you can help yourself out with a good set of tires, a comfortable saddle and proper fit. Keep those things in mind. Eventually, you'll need to learn some maint. so get yourself a few tools (like a multitool), some tire levers and a pump.

Is the Zero-G good for you? I'd go for something more like this:http://mongoose.com/bikes/detail.php..._US&brandID=38

With a HT, you'll get better parts for your money. If you can afford the upgrade to disc brakes, they'll be better for your size (more stopping power).
    Learn to let go that which you fear to lose