mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Long time rider, looking to get a decent bike

So, I've been riding since I was a kid, perhaps in more recent years not as aggressive though. I'm getting back into more trail riding, after learning of some nice trails near by and a group to ride with. I've always bought what might be considered lower end bikes, currently i have a 2003 norco bushpilot (http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...ilot&Type=bike) . The bike has served me well, but I'm ready for something more serious that is going to be a good trail bike. I want to keep the price under 1K, so that may mean a used bike (I may have already found one).

The used bike I found is a 2006 Specialized Rockhopper pro, it looks like its in immaculate condition it is owned by a bike mechanic at a local bike store. He wants 800 cdn for it, and will give 2 years free service. This a good deal? Picture of model of the bike is : http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3648264/ .

Other than that, any suggestions on a new bike in that price range are welcome.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jclarknet; 08-21-2009 at 05:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Well, when I started getting serious about mtn biking again (last winter) the choice was pretty simple because I didn't know of many brands, styles, etc. After trolling these forums, I have been infected. There are so many types of bikes with slightly different feels depending on how you build them up. It's impossible to just have one bike (or very difficult.)

In any case, great solid bike. Nothing wrong at all.

I went with a XC-"marathon" FS bike. Cannondale Rush 4. Mostly because I wanted to do longer and longer rides. And HT just beat you up enough that you are pretty tuckered out after 2hrs. But I like the responsiveness of the hardtail. So now I am on the search for a nice hardtail.

Right now, my fall back bike is a Cannondale F3. Light, stiff, but yielding in bumps (for an aluminum hardtail) and reasonably priced at $1300 new.

But the bike I'd like to build/buy is a Niner MCR 9 with carbon rigid fork and 1x9 drivetrain...

Seems like once you have a do it all bike (like my Rush) then you mind starts to wander and you want to get that cool or playful bike.