mtbr member

New question here. ..A long shot. Could anybody from the US help?

Hi guys,

I read this forum post after converting to a single chainring up-front on my Cannondale Trail SL4 and came up against the same problem of the cable-guide snapping off because it is pressed in with a weak plastic nub, rather than being tapped in:
    When Cannondale's Bottom Bracket Cable Guide Sucks... MAKE YOUR OWN!

The issue that I have is that to follow what this guy has done (ideal), I can't purchase the required thread insert from McMaster-Carr because they won't ship to the UK because of US export regulations.

I have been in contact with UK businesses who supply brass inserts and they don't supply the kind of above insert which is a critical dimension to the 1/4" hole on the BB of the bike. They say it's an extremely low performance design of insert and not something the industry uses. To manufacture an insert to the specifications required, I would need to order a minimum volume of 10,000 units... (no thanks).

I have tried to contact the guy who created the DIY tutorial a couple months back, but his account appears to be dormant.

It's a longer shot, but I'm wondering how possible it would be if anyone from the US could take an order of these brass inserts from McMaster-Carr and send them to me here in the UK at my expense? I was hoping the guy who did the DIY thread could have made me one
    If only he knew I was trying to contact him!

This has been really frustrating, as it's such a simple and ingenious idea of making a solid cable guide that doesn't snap on the SLs. Unless anybody else has any other ideas?

Thanks, J!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks like a pack of 25 is $7.83. I can order a pack and ship it to you. Why don't you contact me at gdkeys@gmail.com and we can work out particulars.

mtbr member

here is another option...

I am sure though you could find locally...ask for "Nut-Zert"...do you have access to Grainger Supply as they could supply!
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member

you might try this too...

according to Grainger's website, this outfit is a "Grainger Authorized Reseller"...and they are located in London. Phone listed on their website is +44 207 793 38 38
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: ..A long shot. Could anybody from the US help?

mtbr member
    ..A long shot. Could anybody from the US help?-image-5-.jpg

The reason why the thread insert is a critical dimension is because the hole isn't completely hollow. There's between, or just under 6 or 5mm's in depth before it hits the axle. I believe punching a rivet or any sized insert into the hole wouldn't fit accurately.

mtbr member
    you are in virgin territory...good luck
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    No it's already been done. I'm following this DIY: When Cannondale's Bottom Bracket Cable Guide Sucks... MAKE YOUR OWN!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdkeys View Post
    Looks like a pack of 25 is $7.83. I can order a pack and ship it to you. Why don't you contact me at gdkeys@gmail.com and we can work out particulars.
    looks like you have a viable option...what more are you needing
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member

Good job!

Once GDkeys gets the thread inserts out to me (I can't thank him enough for offering to help), I will have to find a way to fabricate a similar, durable plastic-guide as done in the DIY thread - it looks really strong, and I like how he applied a cover to it too. Or, purchase a Cannondale Synapse cable-guide which is threaded (I don't understand why they didn't just do this for the Trail SL models anyway, instead of installing a snappable plastic nub...), but I need to find out the size of the thread against the insert diameter.

..A long shot. Could anybody from the US help?-1390923315-61408000.jpg

mtbr member
    personally, I don't believe I could own a bike that the mgf routed the cables/hoses under the BB...accident just waiting to happen.
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    personally, I don't believe I could own a bike that the mgf routed the cables/hoses under the BB...accident just waiting to happen.
    Why do you say that? It's been done for years and is still being done today.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ that certainly don't make it right...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Riding a bike could be considered an accident waiting to happen... but most of us here still do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Why do you say that? It's been done for years and is still being done today.
    well then make sure you check the PF30 box too, that way while you repairing a bashed cable under the BB you can attempt to remedy that creaking noise since they are both in same neighborhood.
    2014 Nail Trail 29er