mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Litespeed Obed frame, age and options

I just got a litespeed obed and wanted to know what to do with it! Its got a very nice build on it but I wanted to make some changes. The serial is 14550 and I was hoping I could find out around what year this frame was made (im thinking 95-97), what specs as far as bb size etc. It has a signature on driveside seatstay. I wanted to know if I could get brake tabs and possibly sliding dropouts added to the frame. Anyone else done this? Cost? Also depending on the year I have read that 100 or larger front shocks will upset the geometry is this the case? I've got a fox 100 that I could take off another bike if this isn't the case. In my deepest desires I would like to convert this bike to a ss with 120 up front, discs and keep it LIGHT.

All 26.5" all the time!
    The serial number does not mean anything. Pics would help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I dunno about adding disc tabs to the back. You would have to have some kind of SS setup on there already to use something like paragon sliding dropouts. You can go with a chain tensioner or try to find an eccentric bottom bracket to go SS.

I think the newer obeds have a different hangar that you can get to easily change from SS to geared. Post and pic and maybe someone would be able to tell.

Go V-brake in the back for now...prolly save some weight.

There's no app for this.

if it's a 95-97 then

the fork travel the frame is designed for will be 80mm maximum. You might get away with 100mm, but you will be changing the geometry and handling the bike was designed for.

As for adding tabs and costs etc, you're looking at finding a custom welder with some really go skills in titanium. As the previous poster said, put a VBrakes int eh back and if you wish, a disc on your new 80mm fork.

Jim