Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    18

    Light weight FS XC options

    I am looking to buy a used FS 26er in the $600-1000 range. I will mostly use it for fun riding, training, and some sprint and olympic distance triathlons. Most riding will be XC with a fair amount of climbing. I am not a total weight wennie, but I would like to be in the 20-25lb range or at least be able to get there with upgrades over time.

    The two bikes that I am considering so far are a Santa Cruz Superlight or Giant Trance X4/3. What do you guys think? Other good options?

  2. #2
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    What year? You mentioned used at $600-$1000, if older trance frame would still be a bit heavy. Also look for Cannondale rush.

    Be realistic though it would already be tough to find a hardtail at that price with your budget. 20-25lbs FS bike would start around $3500 if not avg about $5k+

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    18
    Thanks for the reply. I have seen a few 2004-07 Superlights in my area for $800-1100. I am hoping I can find a respectable and reliable bike that may be around 25-27 lbs that I can upgrade in the future to loose a few lbs. I believe I will be at the top of my price range to get this kind of deal.

    There is a 2005 Trance X3 for $1000 as well as 2007 Stumpjumper FSR Elite for $1000 locally that I am going to check out tomorrow.

  4. #4
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTexan View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have seen a few 2004-07 Superlights in my area for $800-1100. I am hoping I can find a respectable and reliable bike that may be around 25-27 lbs that I can upgrade in the future to loose a few lbs. I believe I will be at the top of my price range to get this kind of deal.

    There is a 2005 Trance X3 for $1000 as well as 2007 Stumpjumper FSR Elite for $1000 locally that I am going to check out tomorrow.
    I don't think Trance X is available in 2005, it's still a 100mm trance. The Trance X is a 125mm version which was offer as a longer travel version in '07 may be?

    The superlight was also an older version and the price was a bit high, in that price range you may want to look at an
    Intense Spider; you may need to replace the shock because many equipped with 5th element shock, or
    Titus racer X(look for a newer version) post the pic someone would help you confirm that.

    I helped my friends buying Rush and some with lefty fork for about $700-$800 but it took me a while each time to find good ones at a very good deal.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,437
    You can get plenty of used FS bikes for that much. But you're not going to get a 20-25 pound bike for that much. You'll be lucky if you get a 27 pound bike for that much.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

  6. #6
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Reputation: Cayenne_Pepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,345
    Get a used Giant Anthem....that can build into a sub-25lb missle.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I don't think Trance X is available in 2005, it's still a 100mm trance. The Trance X is a 125mm version which was offer as a longer travel version in '07 may be?

    The superlight was also an older version and the price was a bit high, in that price range you may want to look at an
    Intense Spider; you may need to replace the shock because many equipped with 5th element shock, or
    Titus racer X(look for a newer version) post the pic someone would help you confirm that.

    I helped my friends buying Rush and some with lefty fork for about $700-$800 but it took me a while each time to find good ones at a very good deal.
    You are correct! I found out the Trance is an '05 Trance 3, not worth $1000. I'm going to check out the SJ FSR Elite and an '02 Scalpel. I have not had any luck with finding Rushs' or Spiders' but I will keep looking. The Scalpel is older but at 24lbs and $550, it's worth looking at. I also found a few Anthems I may look at.

    Thanks for the help.

  8. #8
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTexan View Post
    You are correct! I found out the Trance is an '05 Trance 3, not worth $1000. I'm going to check out the SJ FSR Elite and an '02 Scalpel. I have not had any luck with finding Rushs' or Spiders' but I will keep looking. The Scalpel is older but at 24lbs and $550, it's worth looking at. I also found a few Anthems I may look at.

    Thanks for the help.
    Scalpel would not fit your need except for the climbing part. I owned that model year before, it's all business that one. Two and a quarter inch of rear wheel travel not all quality btw is the closest to softtail or hardtaill not full suspension. It does track the fireroad climb and descend better than HT but no where near the traction you get on the 4" travel bike, and it's not as durable as well.

    If you can push a few hundreds more check this out, NOS Klein Palomino at Lucadia bike a few hours drive from you. Ok the suspension design is not for everyone but definitely it's at the top of mine. I own and ridden just about every suspension design available today and 2 of my goto bikes are both Monolink design. I built my Palomino at 22lbs but that's no where near $1000 so it's possible to get the bike on extreme diet but the healthy weight for that bike is between 25-27lbs. It's the best climber I've ever ridden, not for it's travel the best climber period. Check it out.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    18
    I ended up with a 2009 Giant Anthem X2 with upgraded Stan's Arch wheels. Paid $1000. I guess it is possible to get a 25 lb FS bike for that price. I was able to ride the bike on a few miles of single track before buying. Today I took it for an 8 mile ride on Emigrant Trail in the Tahoe area. I'm really happy with it. The bike handles and climbs just to my liking. Now to work on improving my abilities.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    18
    Mimi1885, thanks a ton for all your help and advice. Even though I didn't get a bike you recommend (mainly because I couldn't find in my area and price range) your comments made me research other options.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    358
    bump
    Last edited by Bigrocks; 05-28-2012 at 05:37 PM.

  12. #12
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTexan View Post
    Mimi1885, thanks a ton for all your help and advice. Even though I didn't get a bike you recommend (mainly because I couldn't find in my area and price range) your comments made me research other options.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Congrats have fun. The anthem is awesome and with the right wheels and
    Tires you should be able to get close to the target weight cheaper.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •