Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    If you have a healthy polisher you can get away with stopping at 1000grit on easier to reach spots. I have this http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...fer-40668.html And with some good compound it'll take paper marks out pretty quick.
    I wouldn't shoot for mirror finish if you plan on getting it dirty, even wiping dust off the frame will dull the finish.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Hey, so I'm a complete newb to this field of information and have some questions that highly reflect my knowledge of the matter. So, I pulled out an old Specialized Hardrock Sport, and I mean an old one. It's a tad smaller than I'd like, but this bike is going to Burning Man and so long as it is functional, I'll take it. It will remain rather squalid in comparison to much of the metal work there, but I'd like to touch it up all the same. It's a Chromoly frame and I have heard it is possible to polish it nicely. Anyone have a guide handy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eville140 View Post
    If you have a healthy polisher you can get away with stopping at 1000grit on easier to reach spots. I have this 8" Benchtop Buffer And with some good compound it'll take paper marks out pretty quick.
    I wouldn't shoot for mirror finish if you plan on getting it dirty, even wiping dust off the frame will dull the finish.
    10-4 on that. I stopped at 1200 grit wet, then automotive rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then, of course, Mothers.

ehigh - I have no experience with steel in this context. I ended up painting the rigid chrom/moly steel fork with Duplicolor chrome at 800 grit. Work OK but will try something different in a couple of months. Did not clear coat the aluminum (and have no intention to do so) but would need to do something like that with steel.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah I had read mention of it on a different forum, but there were not any definitive answers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Yeah I had read mention of it on a different forum, but there were not any definitive answers.
    If it's going to Burning Man, you might consider some neon spray paint & flower stickers. Maybe for the bike too. Then figure out the best method of polishing/coating afterward. Also, be sure to take a gross of prophylactics with you! What a party that event is...

I'm a gun guy, so I'm thinking of blueing the fork. That would look good in contrast to a polished frame. Probably not practical for a complete frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eville140 View Post
    If you have a healthy polisher you can get away with stopping at 1000grit on easier to reach spots. I have this 8" Benchtop Buffer And with some good compound it'll take paper marks out pretty quick.
    No doubt there are a number of ways to get to the final product. I found that knowing when enough, was enough, was my biggest problem. 2000 grit is serious dedication. And some of it depends on if you have a 6061 or 7075 alloy frame, as far as brush marks & crash ding penetrations are concerned. I like the brushed look but wonder if those events make that inevitability more visible?

Do you mind a brush marked 4X4, or do you want a perpetually polished Porsche? We all have different expectations, I think, and need to proceed based on those considerations. Whatever the choice, RAW bike frames are unique & a personalized statement.of dedication
    Last edited by Desertguns; 01-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertguns View Post
    If it's going to Burning Man, you might consider some neon spray paint & flower stickers. Maybe for the bike too. Then figure out the best method of polishing/coating afterward. Also, be sure to take a gross of prophylactics with you! What a party that event is...

I'm a gun guy, so I'm thinking of blueing the fork. That would look good in contrast to a polished frame. Probably not practical for a complete frame.
    It may end up getting some paint on it once it is there, but I think I can get it shiny. I found this old thread
    BMXmuseum.com Forums / POLISHED, NOT PLATED!

Sounds like a lot of work, and I might not get it that clean looking. I still think I'll give it a shot though.

And I definitely plan on being prepared, regardless of how dazed I may end up becoming.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    It may end up getting some paint on it once it is there, but I think I can get it shiny. I found this old thread
    BMXmuseum.com Forums / POLISHED, NOT PLATED!

Sounds like a lot of work, and I might not get it that clean looking. I still think I'll give it a shot though.

And I definitely plan on being prepared, regardless of how dazed I may end up becoming.
    Great link! Amazing photos & saw the process as I scrolled down. Again, that is dedication. BTW - At Burning Man, if you have 2.4" tires of wider, mount them, & run at 35psi or so. Hardpack turns to silt dirt/sand in a few feet. Well, it did when I was there - '92, 96, '02, etc

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I didnt want to deal with having to polish the thing all the time or have to clear coat it. I was able to save 87 grams off the frame weight in paint.
    Hi Craigstr,

I have an EG too and have been contemplating converting her to raw aluminium (with clear coat). While there are many bit and pieces of instructions here, i wonder if you can help by advsiing me whether the process that I have put together below is correct (for stripping my frame down to bare aluminium):

Note: My front triangle is current powdercoat, while my rear trianle is anodized...

1) Strip bike bare of all parts, inclu bearings, shox etc..

2) Front triangle: spray on paint remover and leave it on for at least 15min to remove paint. (1) immerse (2) scrub (3) wash off (4) repeat (1)-(3) until all paints are off

3) Rear triangle: immerse in oven cleaner for at least 15min to remove paint. (1) immerse (2) scrub (3) wash off (4) repeat (1)-(3) until all paints are off

4) For both triangle: (1) wipe dry (2) sand down with normal sand paper to create a “brushed” look (3) Clean and wipe dry

5) Clear coat: (1) spray a clear coat over the frame (2) thorough dry the coat (3) repeat 8-9 coats

6) Final touch: (1) wet sand with 1500 grid sand paper (2) wet sand with 2000 grid sand paper

7) Viola, nice new RAW frame with clear coat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by judyklien View Post
    Hi Craigstr,

I have an EG too and have been contemplating converting her to raw aluminium (with clear coat). While there are many bit and pieces of instructions here, i wonder if you can help by advsiing me whether the process that I have put together below is correct (for stripping my frame down to bare aluminium):

Note: My front triangle is current powdercoat, while my rear trianle is anodized...

1) Strip bike bare of all parts, inclu bearings, shox etc..

2) Front triangle: spray on paint remover and leave it on for at least 15min to remove paint. (1) immerse (2) scrub (3) wash off (4) repeat (1)-(3) until all paints are off

3) Rear triangle: immerse in oven cleaner for at least 15min to remove paint. (1) immerse (2) scrub (3) wash off (4) repeat (1)-(3) until all paints are off

4) For both triangle: (1) wipe dry (2) sand down with normal sand paper to create a “brushed” look (3) Clean and wipe dry

5) Clear coat: (1) spray a clear coat over the frame (2) thorough dry the coat (3) repeat 8-9 coats

6) Final touch: (1) wet sand with 1500 grid sand paper (2) wet sand with 2000 grid sand paper

7) Viola, nice new RAW frame with clear coat.
    Oven cleaner will eat Al. I would wet sand the ano off. Front triangle will have a nice bead blasted finish under the powder. I would leave it that way, the clear will stick to that better then anything. Clean the frame at least 6 times before clearing.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Mine was painted, Im not sure if powdercoat will come off as easy as paint. If you have trouble you might have a painter or powdercoater chemically strip it? Let us know how it
    goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thks Shawn.... Do u know if e off-e-shelf rattle can clear coat will do e trick protecting e raw alu underneath? Or should I bring it to a pro for clear cost ano after I stripped e paint?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thks Shawn.... Do u know if e off-e-shelf rattle can clear coat will do e trick protecting e raw alu underneath? Or should I bring it to a pro for clear cost ano after I stripped e paint?
    Your keyboard missing some keys?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Didn't realize e massive typos...... Was using my iPhone hahahaha.....

mtbr member
    Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't spend the money and time to clear coat Al. Al doesn't corrode like steel, and bare Al can be easily cleaned up to look like new.

I think there is clear powder coat. I would consider that, done by a professional, if it was suitable for a bike frame.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member

FInished it up!

Whole story is here:
    Project: El Guapo "Lite"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-p1020697.jpg  

Noob
    Jan 2012
    It looks great!

mtbr member
    I kind of want to tear down my new Stumpy and polish up the frame...but idkkkk about that
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    craigstr, your bike looks awesome. Great job!
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations, very well done.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I kind of want to tear down my new Stumpy and polish up the frame...but idkkkk about that
    Are you stuttering again?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    nope long time buddy!

I just don't know if I want to ruin a perfectly good finish to make it look like a mirror. My reasoning is this..
    1. I only have 1 season on it, and it was a short season since Ohio has been so wet this past year
    2. A mirror/polished finish would not be ideal for me. I do not ride with pants, so looking down at the frame while riding I would see the bottom of my beanbag in the reflection

I just don't know about that yet..maybe after this season

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    nope long time buddy!

I just don't know if I want to ruin a perfectly good finish to make it look like a mirror. My reasoning is this..
    1. I only have 1 season on it, and it was a short season since Ohio has been so wet this past year
    2. A mirror/polished finish would not be ideal for me. I do not ride with pants, so looking down at the frame while riding I would see the bottom of my beanbag in the reflection

I just don't know about that yet..maybe after this season
    So, after this season, it will be ok to look down and see the bottom of your beanbag?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    No, I'm never going to be able to get around that, but if I wait another season it will help me justify it for reason 1. I do like the stock paintjob...and once it's mirrored I can't go back

mtbr member
    Your beanbag might get a sunburn!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast