Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Dive Bomber
    I just wondering did you guys polish or clear coating after removing the paint? or maybe chrome it since it looks like chrome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy
    Ok. I stripped my front triangle on my full susser with aircraft stripper. Took me 1.5 hrs to get it looking very clean. I want to strip the paint off my rear triangle but I do not want to damage the bearings. Can I strip the paint while keeping the bearings in place? Will the paint stripper damage the bearings? Or should I just leave it black?
    I was just thinking about this as well. I'm possibly considering doing this, but wondering about the bearings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Aircraft paint remover, steel wool, and then a scotchbrite pad....

mtbr member
    This is what polished realy looks like!

Here is another one, but not as polished:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff
    iv always wanted to polish a bike frame. my son and i just finished this 12inch jamis 26inch wheeled bike. enjoy!
    That's really cool, he's one lucky little guy.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    Toothpaste is a mild abrasive so it makes sense that it would polish aluminum. Ketchup???? I don't get it....
    Ketchup is pretty acidic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    how do i determine if my frame is painted, anodized, or powder coated?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry to bring up an old thread. So basically, if I strip down the paint to raw, and not do any polishing on it, would it end up like the raw finish on Intense bikes?

And would aircraft paint remover get rid off paint, anodizing or powder coats?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Aircraft Paint remover for paint. Easy-off oven cleaner for anodizing. Not sure about powder coating, or how to get the Intense finish.

Intense Uzzer
    I used an easy-off type product, actually a plugged-drain-opening liquid, to strip the black ano off the triple clamps of my Dorado. After that I used steel wool to smooth out the surface, and they now match exactly the raw finish on my Intense frame.
    2010 Intense Uzzi
    2009 Wilier Izoard

mtbr member
    This is what it looks like built up. It needs a little touch up by Mothers.

mtbr member
    Gotta break down the hardrock pro disc I just got so ill be doing this after seeing such good results. Will post pics shortly.

mtbr member
    Stripped the frame. This'll look good when built back up.
    The bike is nothing special but it'll at least have a different look.
    Thanks for the ideas!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-downsized_image03232011171345.jpg  

Let's see your raw aluminium!-image03232011171327.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here is my Sette Ace. If I had known how much effort it was going to be to remove the powder coat from this frame I don't think I would have done it. Even the most powerful stipper from Home Depot barely softened the powder coat, so it required a lot of sanding to get it all off. But all the effort in stripping and polishing was worth it, as it looks nice. My final polish I used Meguiars Scratch X (which is for paint). It gives a better shine that metal polish. I tried coating with wax, but that dulls the shine a bit, so I just leave it unprotected and polish it every now and then.

2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    That looks very nice!! That's funny that this thread resurfaced. I was just looking at a place that does anodizing. I might pick up another early San Andreas. I'm thinking about getting it lightly bead blasted and getting it anodized dark black, for a nice matt black finish.

mtbr member

Flash

USA made, maybe my favorite out of the bikes I've owned. Granted, I didn't do the burnishing or painting myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-flash-alloy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here is my raw windsor 29er. Took about 45 min to get it stripped down using a spray can of aircraft stripper from the auto parts store and and acid brush. Maintenance has been pretty easy, just hit it with a scotch bright pad every now and again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-2011-02-21-14.58.58.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Really nice. The biggest detractor to the Motobecane's/Windsor's are those god-awful graphics.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My Titus El Guapo. Stripped it down w/ a paint remover. I don't like it polished so i just used a scotch brite pad to even out the finish. Still waiting for the Decals for the final touch.

Last edited by jeffte; 04-26-2011 at 04:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Mine came raw from the factory but it's so nice I'm surprised more brands don't offer it

Let's see your raw aluminium!-2011_04_24-04.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffte
    My Titus El Guapo. Stripped it down w/ a paint remover. I don't like it polished so i just used a scotch brite pad to even out the finish. Still waiting for the Decals for the final touch.

What paint remover did you use? Is the EG powder coated or anodized?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan
    What paint remover did you use? Is the EG powder coated or anodized?
    It's a local paint remover here in the philippines. I forgot the brand. It was like a gel. My EG was powder coated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Now with Decals..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffte
    Now with Decals..

How come you don't use that to tie down the rear DR cable?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I did b4, but when i crash the cable breaks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i have a q:
    I bought a jamis parker 1 from a friend, it wasnt abused, but he did leave it in a garage without any type of care, so i took the bike as a project. The frame has a loooooot of scratches (luckily just the paint was damaged) so i was thinking of removing the paint and leaving it raw... I already read the thread and I am fairly aware of how to do it. So here comes the question, can I also do this with the fork? and if i can how is it done?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Good job!

[QUOTE=jeffte]My Titus El Guapo. Stripped it down w/ a paint remover.

mysterious bike.. stands on it's own!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does paint stripper work on anodized alu frames?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan
    No, but 0000 steelwool does.

mtbr member
    Use water and wear gloves.

mtbr member
    Bump. Let's see some more!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Trek Fuel EX8 - Got a great deal because the paint was trashed. Stripped it down, polished it up. Lots of new parts.

You can see more here: http://s600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/dhight1/Trek/

mtbr member
    That is nice, nice, nice!!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    That is nice, nice, nice!!
    I've never been a fan of aluminum framed anything. With that said the vintage Al frame bikes look so nice I've actually been looking for an older Stumpy to strip and ride.

You're right these are nice bikes.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Oven cleaner does, but you have to be careful not to leave it on too long, it eats aluminum.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dehdman View Post
    Trek Fuel EX8 - Got a great deal because the paint was trashed. Stripped it down, polished it up. Lots of new parts.
    That might be the nicest aluminum polish job I've ever seen! Very nice. How did you do it?

mtbr member
    Here's mine. I bought it recently looking kind of shabby, and even though it still looks a bit rough, I have removed a lot of the oxidation. I don't know how much polishing I want to do, but seeing some of these other mirror finishes is tempting me to go for something similar.
    I'm also going to add some red bits, and maybe a new sticker kit (saw one that had gray letters with a red outline that looked pretty nice). So, we'll call this the "before" picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-bike-intense-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    That might be the nicest aluminum polish job I've ever seen! Very nice. How did you do it?
    Aaahhh... thanks!

Ok... so this one took some effort. The Fuel is 7000 series aluminum (harder and less ductile compared to 6000), has non-oval tubes, and the forming process left the raw aluminum junked up.

I started with 120 grit automotive sandpaper (yes... I really had to start that course). Onced over the frame with 120 (which is actually 2 passes at 90 degrees). Then came the wetsanding with 220, 320, 400, 600 and 800. Repeat another 5 times. Then went to 1000, 1500, and 2000 and repeated 2-3 times.

Bought a cheap, 1/2in High speed drill from Harbor Freight to use as a polisher (drill's more handy in the long run). Started with black compound and then brown tripoli and finished with some Mothers.

Threw on some Rock Demon (http://www.rockdemon.com/) invisible frame protectors, fresh grease for the bearings, rebuilt fork and shock, added new headset, cranks, cassette, chain, cables, wheels, rotors, and seat, bled the brakes and tubelessed the tires. Looks good, rides great.

I have found it's best to keep her dirty. When clean, looking at her in direct sunlight may cause retina burns.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    And I gotta say thanks to all the previous posters - seeing how good these bikes looked, you all inspired me. I started this project in May and only just got the bike back together 2 weeks ago. Fist bumps all around.

mtbr member

Frame was yellow, stripped it wanted to polish it but decided to much work and left it like that.

mtbr member
    2011 Blur LT2.1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-dsc01554.jpg  

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dehdman View Post
    I started with 120 grit automotive sandpaper (yes... I really had to start that course). Onced over the frame with 120 (which is actually 2 passes at 90 degrees). Then came the wetsanding with 220, 320, 400, 600 and 800. Repeat another 5 times. Then went to 1000, 1500, and 2000 and repeated 2-3 times.

Bought a cheap, 1/2in High speed drill from Harbor Freight to use as a polisher (drill's more handy in the long run). Started with black compound and then brown tripoli and finished with some Mothers.
    Your hard work shows. That frame is freakin gorgeous...

mtbr member
    Here's mine with a few new red tidbits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-bike-rampart-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post

Here is another one, but not as polished:
    What year is that Moho? I remember when they came out (and it seems like a very very long time ago), I lusted over that bike. I thought it was the coolest frame ever. And now, after all these years, its still beautiful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    What year is that Moho? I remember when they came out (and it seems like a very very long time ago), I lusted over that bike. I thought it was the coolest frame ever. And now, after all these years, its still beautiful.
    I couldn't even tell you what year it is. It's an early one, because it doesn't have a disc brake tab on it, I wish it did. I bought it at one of the MC garage sales, before they moved to Portland. That was back when, unfortunetly, Mr. Clark was running the show. I paid $50 cash for it in a raw condition, then I polished it myself. The Cook Bros. cranks were also purchased at the same trip for $15, new with no rings. It's a great riding frame. You can really feel the rear end absorb bumps, but it is laterally stiff and accelerates hard. It has a roomy cockpit, which I like, In fact the stem that is on it is too long. It really should have an 80 or 90mm stem and I'm about 5'9.5" tall. The only thing I changed from that picture is I made it a 1x9, changed to a carbon post and changed the bars to a Titec Hellbent bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Could there be any frame built form kevlar?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by resclusa View Post
    i have a q:
    I bought a jamis parker 1 from a friend, it wasnt abused, but he did leave it in a garage without any type of care, so i took the bike as a project. The frame has a loooooot of scratches (luckily just the paint was damaged) so i was thinking of removing the paint and leaving it raw... I already read the thread and I am fairly aware of how to do it. So here comes the question, can I also do this with the fork? and if i can how is it done?
    You cannot do this to the fork. Fork lowers are magnesium and will corrode very badly if not painted. It also will not polish up well like aluminum.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    You cannot do this to the fork. Fork lowers are magnesium and will corrode very badly if not painted. It also will not polish up well like aluminum.
    The type of magnesium that is used for forks and car parts can be polished as good as aluminum. You just have to know how to polish it. Mg dust is very flammable, so you have to be careful. The problem is that clear coating Mg is difficult, it's hard to get anything to stick to it.

http://www.magnesium.com/w3/data-bank/index.php?mgw=182

http://www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com...service-1.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NR 750 View Post
    Could there be any frame built form kevlar?
    Yes

http://www.formigli.com/eng/kevlar.asp

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...evlar-bike.php

banned
    My polished aluminum GT Aggressor...

It's seen a few months of use since I originally polished it up. So, it's not quite as shiny as when it was first put into service. Still looks nice, though.

Let's see your raw aluminium!-img_6698.jpg

Let's see your raw aluminium!-img_6700.jpg

Let's see your raw aluminium!-img_6709.jpg

Let's see your raw aluminium!-img_6717.jpg

Let's see your raw aluminium!-img_6720.jpg

Let's see your raw aluminium!-img_6721.jpg

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast