Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 410
  1. #26
    You know my steez...
    Reputation: BunnV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuzafreerider
    Very nice...thats what I'm hoping to do...dig the orange spokes!
    Thanks!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    656
    Very Very Nice Guys. BunnV - I am totally digging the wheels. How do you like the windcutters? I've been researching those and just wonder how they will do with Saint M810's which is my current front caliper.

  3. #28
    You know my steez...
    Reputation: BunnV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    Very Very Nice Guys. BunnV - I am totally digging the wheels. How do you like the windcutters? I've been researching those and just wonder how they will do with Saint M810's which is my current front caliper.
    Thanks for the compliment on the wheels!

    The Wind Cutters totally exceeded my expectations! I bought them based on their claimed weight of 92 grams. One weighed exactly 92 grams on my scale, the other 93 grams.

    I have Hayes Stroker Gram calipers and was using the stock Hayes V6 (?) 160mm rotors. The stopping power of the Alligators vs. the V6's is no comparison! I have almost TOO much bite now with the Wind Cutters. They didn't howl, or screech but they do make a different kind of sound (kind of a metallic rub) than the more conventional rotors they replaced.

    On my first ride with them I found myself over braking and skidding (bad!) especially on the rear, and I don't even use the rear hard. Luckily the Strokers have great modulation and I was able to get a better feel for them over the course of the ride.

    They were only $15 each which is really inexpensive considering their weight and apparent quality. I love them!
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48
    Man, polished alum is one of the sexiest finishes, imho. I wish mfg would have more faith in the material and offer more polished frame options. Thanks everyone for posting your polished rides!

  5. #30
    Nice day for a ride.....
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,569
    I've done a few strip and polish jobs myself on some of my GT frames. Used a whole lot of chemical stripper, steel wool, then many hours with a rag and jar of Mother aluminum polish.

    Check these threads out, both bikes are mine.

    2006 Avalanche 1.0 - The polished Avalanche - version 2
    2003 Avalanche 1.0 - The Polished Avalanche :D
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

  6. #31
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,651
    Looks good guys. Reminds me of the chromoly BMX bikes from back in the day.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    213
    Well, you guys convinced me. The paint is gone, and the sanding has begun.

    I scotchbrited everything to get ride of all the paint. I was surprised to find quite a bit of scratches under the paint. So I've been sanding those out with 320 grit. Moved on to 600, 900, and will finish with 1200 grit. Then polish and shine.

    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    I've done a few strip and polish jobs myself on some of my GT frames. Used a whole lot of chemical stripper, steel wool, then many hours with a rag and jar of Mother aluminum polish.

    Check these threads out, both bikes are mine.

    2006 Avalanche 1.0 - The polished Avalanche - version 2
    2003 Avalanche 1.0 - The Polished Avalanche :D
    RatchAttack, Your GT's look great. Any problem with your decals. Does anyone know where I can get some vintage Gary Fisher decals (1995-1997ish).

    Thanks for all the photos and input everyone. I'll post some pic when it's done. Might be awile though.

  8. #33
    Nice day for a ride.....
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc
    Well, you guys convinced me. The paint is gone, and the sanding has begun.

    I scotchbrited everything to get ride of all the paint. I was surprised to find quite a bit of scratches under the paint. So I've been sanding those out with 320 grit. Moved on to 600, 900, and will finish with 1200 grit. Then polish and shine.



    RatchAttack, Your GT's look great. Any problem with your decals. Does anyone know where I can get some vintage Gary Fisher decals (1995-1997ish).

    Thanks for all the photos and input everyone. I'll post some pic when it's done. Might be awile though.

    No problems with the decals. Just polish the hell out of the frame then apply the decals, DO NOT clear coat the frame. The clear coat will eventually get scratched and look like hell.

    I picked up the GT decals from eBay, maybe start your search there.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    213

    Finished product

    Well it's all done. I ended up going polished, just couldn't get a consistantly uniform brushed look. Over all I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

    It's way better than the beat up paint that was there. Thanks for all the advice everyone, isn't this site great.





    I can't get the pics loaded. This computer stuff is new to me. can anyone walk me through it?
    Last edited by ghughes.hesinc; 12-02-2009 at 08:55 PM.

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    656
    Congrats - Very Very Nice. Can't wait to see the whole bike when its done. It's like falling in love all over again....

  11. #36
    Gravity addict
    Reputation: yakuzafreerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    331
    still working on mine, I sanded and polished up the bars on it, now working on the wheelset (polishing) hopefully tomorrow I'll have most of the bike together with the exception of the wheels looking just plain raw. Will post pictures soon.
    How's that dirt taste?

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    213

    Finally!!!

    After too much time trying everything under the sun. Here they are.

    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

  13. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,567
    All of these polished bikes look great, and you
    guys did a really good job. However after all that
    hard work how can you stand to get something
    that nice dirty?

    Best, John

  14. #39
    Cracker
    Reputation: thecrackerasscracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    947

    07 Kona Coiler

    No clear cote
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It might get a little steep from here

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    656
    What I do is later in the evening after the kids go to bed, I grab a couple of beers, a can of mothers, and a towell. Who needs tv.

    thecrackerasscracker - great looking Kona. I wish I had gone silver spokes on my wheels.

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    213
    [QUOTE=mmanuel09]What I do is later in the evening after the kids go to bed, I grab a couple of beers, a can of mothers, and a towell. Who needs tv.

    I hear ya there!!

  17. #42
    Gravity addict
    Reputation: yakuzafreerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    331
    this is what it used to look like
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    This is what it looks like as of today, its ready to ride but not all upgrades I want are on it yet....
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    How's that dirt taste?

  18. #43
    yorkshire mud monkey
    Reputation: sausagedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    186
    hi all, well iam in the starting stage of stripping a cannondale ready for polishing.
    whats the best way to get rid of the oxidization on the frame, as it doesnt look good and worried about the finish if i clear coat it after the decals are on.
    as steve said "As long as the rotor/rivets clears the fork, a miss is as good as a mile"

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by sausagedog
    hi all, well iam in the starting stage of stripping a cannondale ready for polishing.
    whats the best way to get rid of the oxidization on the frame, as it doesnt look good and worried about the finish if i clear coat it after the decals are on.
    From what I gather, some steel wool, a little polish, and you should be back to bright and shinny!
    Decals could complicate it.

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    32
    I have an old carbon composite frame thats a mongoose iboc pro sx.
    What would it look like if i stripped it, the painted part is chipping really bad where its purple.




  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by cmanco
    I have an old carbon composite frame thats a mongoose iboc pro sx.
    What would it look like if i stripped it, the painted part is chipping really bad where its purple.
    I'm no expert, but I'm not sure paint stripper and carbon composite resin are real compatable!

    You might want to do alittle research before you try it.

  22. #47
    yeah it still hurts...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    134

    Stoooooop!

    Quote Originally Posted by ghughes.hesinc
    I'm no expert, but I'm not sure paint stripper and carbon composite resin are real compatable!

    You might want to do alittle research before you try it.
    paint stripper will immediatley dissolve any petroleum-based plastic it comes into contact with. thats how it dissolves paint. if the CF resin is petroleum based, it will be dissolved leaving you with a pile of worthless carbon fibers.

  23. #48
    yorkshire mud monkey
    Reputation: sausagedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    186
    well ive been doing one my self and here it is http://www.flickr.com/photos/sausagedog77/4197009985/

    ive found that if you polish down the tubes it makes it dull but if u polish across then it make its shine more, all due to the grain when the tube is made.
    as steve said "As long as the rotor/rivets clears the fork, a miss is as good as a mile"

  24. #49
    yorkshire mud monkey
    Reputation: sausagedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    186
    also if you want to powder coat it waste of time polishing it as they will only go and shot blast it to get a good key on the frame.
    as steve said "As long as the rotor/rivets clears the fork, a miss is as good as a mile"

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghughes.hesinc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    213
    That Cannondale sure looks nice! I love those crossing tubes.

    Quote Originally Posted by sausagedog
    well ive been doing one my self and here it is http://www.flickr.com/photos/sausagedog77/4197009985/

    ive found that if you polish down the tubes it makes it dull but if u polish across then it make its shine more, all due to the grain when the tube is made.
    Just to clairify down=long way; across=short way?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •