Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    A Vertical PK7 I converted to coaster brake.
    Painted a riigid steel fork and the steel rear stays "aluminum paint" to match.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 10-11-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: update links

mtbr member
    Let's see your raw aluminium!-9187341079_4686180b4c_c.jpg

My new Gary Fisher Rig

I had more luck with fine steel wool and mothers polish, than sandpaper but I'm going to hit it with 2000 grit next

mtbr member
    Misfit Dissent...yesterday it was flat black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-picture0703131616_1.jpg  

CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    You did that in 1 day? How?

mtbr member
    Two days really. Stripped it on Tuesday and started polishing with steel wool. I finished it yesterday. I wasn't going for a mirror shine so it didn't take too long. I had a ride planned this morning so I had a little incentive.
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bumping this thread because I underwent paint stripping project this past weekend. I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile and it was fairly simple. I removed the rear triangle off my Yeti 303 RDH and went to town on it. Here's the finished product.

It only cost me about $20 in materials from Home Depot:

Kleen Strip spray paint stripper
    rubber gloves
    Brasso metal polish
    Gorilla tape
    very fine steel wool
    Rustoleum clear spray paint
    Wire brush attachment for Dremel/drill

I read up a lot about this process and wanted to do it much simpler.

Step 1: clean/hose down rear triangle, tape over bearings with Gorilla tape.

Step 2: place the triangle on a piece of cardboard and spray away with the paint stripper. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Step 3: the paint should be falling off by now. With rubber gloves on (and preferably long sleeves/pants; even a drop will burn your skin) start scrubbing the paint off the with steel wool. About 80% of the paint came off the first spray.

Step 4: Once you've scrubbed most the paint off, hose off the stripped paint. Spray the whole thing again with the stripper to get the remaining paint off. Let sit for another 15 minutes.

Step 5: Keep scrubbing with the steel wool, hose it off again. Now is the tedious part. I used a wire brush Dremel attachment to grind off the stubborn paint. This may take awhile but its worth it to get it 100% paint free.

Step 6: Use the Brasso and a wet piece of steel wool to begin polishing. The more you polish, the shinier it gets.

Step 7: Keep using the Brasso but polish with a dry terry cloth. Polish more for a shiny look or less for a raw look.

Step 8: Apply 2-3 coats of clear spray paint, let it dry, reinstall.

I may do the whole frame, but that would be a substantial project. I definitely recommend this as an inexpensive way to spruce up a bike that may have some beat up paint.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    ^ Nice job. Are you going to polish it?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    He clear coated it, so too late to polish it. I would have skipped the clearcoat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    He clear coated it, so too late to polish it. I would have skipped the clearcoat.
    Yeah, and I read that part to. In one eye and out the other, I guess.

I would have also left it uncleared. And I definitely wouldn't use a can clear. But, I guess if it starts to flake off, he can drown it in paint stripper again to get it off. I'd mirror polish it and leave it at that. Then, hit it with Mothers ever 6 months or so.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I did polish it a bit. I didn't want to the shiny mirror look, I like the raw aluminum finish.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Raw chainstay

Decided to remove the chipped and scratched paint from my chainstay...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-raleigh-raw-aluminium.jpg  

mtbr member
    You Know, Lizard Skins makes a protector for that.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

The Crow
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Did you get the frame raw or did you strip it? Been wanting to strip my Spot.
    Was bought raw
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    raw Rumble, 69'ed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-rrrumble50.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek 4300

Ok guys, this is still work in progress, but thank you very much for inspiration and encouragement to take this on. My main inspiration was another owner of 4300 a few pages back.

This was a 2001 Trek 4300. Despite everyone advise not to upgrade this bike, I did it anyway. So far I am very happy. Could have I gotten a better bike on craigslist with total cost? Maybe. But I could not say I built it. This bike was purchased on caigslist for $150.

So far here is what Ive upgraded:

Rockshox XC30 tk
    Avid BB7 front disk brake
    Avid Single digit 7 rear V brake w/Kool Stop pads
    Avenir Joytec/Weinmann front wheel
    ROCKBROS Bike Pedals
    Shimano Deore rear derailleur RD-M591
    K-Force XC Riser Bar (carbon)
    Kalloy UNO stem
    All new Jagwire blue cables

I'am still waiting for some of the stuff to arrive. For the most part bike should be complete in a week.

Let's see your raw aluminium!-2013-07-06-18.26.39.jpg
    Let's see your raw aluminium!-2013-07-23-10.17.52.jpg
    Let's see your raw aluminium!-2013-07-23-10.24.53.jpg

Let's see your raw aluminium!-2013-07-29-10.15.29.jpg

Let's see your raw aluminium!-2013-08-10-14.38.48.jpgLet's see your raw aluminium!-2013-08-09-09.35.53.jpg
    Let's see your raw aluminium!-2013-08-10-14.55.25.jpg
    Let's see your raw aluminium!-2013-07-30-11.23.51.jpg
    Let's see your raw aluminium!-2013-07-30-10.27.02.jpgLet's see your raw aluminium!-2013-08-10-15.55.37.jpg

mtbr member

2006 xtc

Sanded down to 400 grit wet/dry and polished with Mother's.

Let's see your raw aluminium!-dscn1029.jpg

More pictures of build here:

Post your hardtail Giants

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What's the name of the paint stripper stuff you used, and what's the best tool for getting welds and cable guides.
    Also I've been able to chip away the paint with a putty knife... It literally just flakes away with little effort, and there also is a white primer layer. I So basically what I'm wondering is if I will need the same stripper because I doubt powder coating flakes like mine has.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    What's the name of the paint stripper stuff you used, and what's the best tool for getting welds and cable guides.
    Also I've been able to chip away the paint with a putty knife... It literally just flakes away with little effort, and there also is a white primer layer. I So basically what I'm wondering is if I will need the same stripper because I doubt powder coating flakes like mine has.
    Use Aircraft Paint Remover. Can be found at local autopart store, goes for around $10 per can. I used 2 cans but could of gotten away with one. Then you can use a wire brush or they sell a drill bit that has a metal brush on the end at local hardware store for around $6-10. I used sandpaper 150,300,600 to get the buff I wanted. Every one here seems to be using Mothers polish but I found something else thats a bit more expensive but works a lot faster and easier. Its called White Diamond Metal Polish and Sealant. That was $15 at Advance Auto Parts store. After polishing it I used some WD40 and wiped it all over with a rug to give it dirty metal look.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm done stripping my Blur LT frame but I found that there is a lot of difference between the front triangle vs rear triangle, the aluminum looks way different, more dull and with more texture.

how can I get a nice finish on both? I don't wanna go to shiny
    already remove all the paint, and did a little bit of steel wool. do I need to use sandpaper?
    Last edited by Pedro Rios; 09-07-2013 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Steel wool should work. Get different grades. I think coarse steel wool all in one direction will give it more of a brushed look. Then go finer if you want it shinier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Here's a Yeti 575 polished to a mirror finish. Not my bike. Yeti 575 Frame Polished to a Mirror Finish...Photos Inside
    WOW! That's the best polished aluminum i ever saw. Looks like Hutch BMX chromoly steel, or better! I know not yours, but do you know the cost for that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeSuperUberV View Post
    WOW! That's the best polished aluminum i ever saw. Looks like Hutch BMX chromoly steel, or better! I know not yours, but do you know the cost for that?
    That does look nice. Wouldn't mind that on my Camber with white writing on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So this is the most recent pic of my bike... I'm going to strip the paint, and I'm going to buy a set of Raleigh stickers. What I want help deciding is the color.
    Let me know what you think.
    14 Set Raleigh Decals Stickers Frames Bicycles Bikes 11" Colors Available A59M | eBay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your raw aluminium!-dscn0256.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    So this is the most recent pic of my bike... I'm going to strip the paint, and I'm going to buy a set of Raleigh stickers. What I want help deciding is the color.
    Let me know what you think.
    14 Set Raleigh Decals Stickers Frames Bicycles Bikes 11" Colors Available A59M | eBay
    I think it would look best with no Raleigh stickers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I think it would look best with no Raleigh stickers.
    Should I put some On One or maybe Santa Cruz stickers on it instead haha....

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast