• 11-13-2012
    marpilli
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 11-13-2012
    John Kuhl
    ^^^ Nice.
  • 11-13-2012
    ghughes.hesinc
    This thread just keeps going....glad to see all the "naked beauty"!
  • 11-22-2012
    nigelb
    2 Attachment(s)
    My Mongoose Amplifier as I first built it and as it is now.

I couldn't resist the Noleen fork even though the bike has lost its 'purity'
  • 12-16-2012
    marpilli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nigelb View Post
    My Mongoose Amplifier as I first built it and as it is now.

I couldn't resist the Noleen fork even though the bike has lost its 'purity'

The Noleen linkage fork is beautiful. You'll never need an excuse to put one on a fun XC bike. :thumbsup:
  • 12-25-2012
    Unkown
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    76 years of oxidation can be harder to get off than paint.

Amazing.
  • 01-01-2013
    amrjon
    2 polished giants
  • 01-01-2013
    mtbnozpikr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amrjon View Post
    Here's 2 of mine. A STP frame and a built up XTC.

Wow, you did a pretty nice job both polishing and taking pictures. My compliments to you!:thumbsup:
  • 01-01-2013
    Ltdan12a
    Not a bike, but the hood on a first generation Miata is aluminum.... Took a few hours, but ended up with this:
    http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...2a/hood024.jpg
  • 01-01-2013
    bengxe
  • 01-01-2013
    Donmac70
    Aluminum
    1984 Cannondale SM-500
  • 01-02-2013
    CS2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Donmac70 View Post
    1984 Cannondale SM-500

Am I missing something like a picture?
  • 01-02-2013
    Donmac70
    Not allowed pic until I've had enough posts
  • 01-02-2013
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Am I missing something like a picture?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donmac70 View Post
    Not allowed pic until I've had enough posts

So he is basically posting nothing in order to get his post count up.
  • 01-02-2013
    Donmac70
    Wanted to post pic, wasn't allowed so I still posted what I have. Thanks for the snide remark!!!!!!!!!!
  • 01-02-2013
    Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Oh, don't mention it! Anytime you're willing to waste my time with a post about nothing, I'm willing to give out, "snide" comments. Now I'm going to give negative rep.
  • 01-02-2013
    Iwan
    1 Attachment(s)
    Taken in Stellenbosch, South Africa
  • 01-02-2013
    mtbnozpikr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ltdan12a View Post
    Not a bike, but the hood on a first generation Miata is aluminum.... Took a few hours, but ended up with this:

No, not a bike but pretty darn awesome anyway. Thanks for posting!:thumbsup:
  • 01-03-2013
    mikkosan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwan View Post
    Taken in Stellenbosch, South Africa

Did you get the frame raw or did you strip it? Been wanting to strip my Spot.
  • 01-03-2013
    ehigh
    this thread makes me want to strip the paint on my Norco Range. You guys are doing good.
    I've got a new rear triangle my ride that is anodized though and I'm considering whether or not I polish that, or part of it, and the anodized swing arm. I'll see. where do you guys go for frame decals?
  • 01-05-2013
    CyclesnIPAs
    After drooling over all the beautiful raw and polished rides on this thread I finally took the plunge to strip my 06 Fisher Tassajara. Lets just say it didnt go very well. Apparently my frame is powder coated or something because after 2 can of stripper and 5hrs of application my frame is still coated with a gray primer like coating that the stripper cant seem to remove. Suggestions? I was thinking of wet sanding it off however Im not sure of what to do in the more intricate areas such as the drop outs and cable guides. What grit paper should I start and end with if I go that route? Or should I just take it to a media blast company? I just wanna get my bike back together. Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • 01-05-2013
    trojans1993
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CyclesnIPAs View Post
    After drooling over all the beautiful raw and polished rides on this thread I finally took the plunge to strip my 06 Fisher Tassajara. Lets just say it didnt go very well. Apparently my frame is powder coated or something because after 2 can of stripper and 5hrs of application my frame is still coated with a gray primer like coating that the stripper cant seem to remove. Suggestions? I was thinking of wet sanding it off however Im not sure of what to do in the more intricate areas such as the drop outs and cable guides. What grit paper should I start and end with if I go that route? Or should I just take it to a media blast company? I just wanna get my bike back together. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I hate to be a buzz kill but I would say "abort mission" on trying to do it yourself at this point. If you have already put a few hours using some good nasty paint remover and you're not seeing raw aluminum then you are going to have a hell of time when you get into the small dropout and BB areas.

I would find a local metal polishing house and let them have a look at it and have them do the blasting/stripping for you at least. You can still do the fine polishing yourself to give it a personal touch, but believe me it can be a royal PITA to get into some spots even if you have a frame that is cooperating. Just my $.02 Good luck.
  • 01-05-2013
    CyclesnIPAs
    Thanks for the input. Im leaning more towards getting the frame media blasted the more I stare at the gray mess. I actually attempted to use some wet fine grit sand paper on the down tube, the effort required to remove the coating was ridiculous and way more taxing than I care to deal with. Guess Im gonna be searching for a media blaster on Monday.
  • 01-05-2013
    trojans1993
    Good decision if you want to get your rig back on the trail sooner rather than later. Do a quick search and you might be surprised how many metal blasting places around.