Thread: Let's say...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Let's say...

Let's say you were trying to figure out what to do with your bike.

Let's say you had a 2008 Gary Fisher Marlin with the following upgrades:

-Mavic 717 rims/XT hubs.
    -Rock Shox Recon Race Solo Air fork (100mm).
    -Juicy 5 brakes.
    -XT rear derailleur.
    -Clipless, new saddle, blah blah blah.

Would you:

A. Attempt to sell the bike, probably for not too much money (maybe $600 or so) so you could get a cheap full suspension bike in the $1,200 range.

Or.

B. Attempt to buy a new frame and put these parts on it. This would be a cheap frame, like maybe the Titus RX-1's that Jenson is blowing out right now.

Thoughts? Ideas? You can probably see that I'm guessing I could probably pull together $600 to work with, and I'd like to try to get myself on a 4" full suspension bike that's geared towards cross country riding. Most my riding is currently being done in Michigan (bleh!), but I'm planning a 3-4 week trip to Fruita/Moab/Gooseberry/Park City/anywhere else out there at the next of next summer.

Not sure what is making me think about this. Maybe it's because I keep wondering to myself, "WTF was I thinking moving from Park City to Ann Arbor."

Thanks!

AZ
    banned
    New frame .

mtbr member
    +1 for new frame. That's what I did with my '07 Wahoo. Sold the old frame and a few of the original parts from it and picked up a new old stock '08 Giant Anthem 1 frame. Local bike shop had it sitting in their basement getting dusty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Word. Ya'll have any recommendations on frames? Like I said, I'm looking towards the 4" cross country type frames. I'm thinking like Titus Racer X, Intense XVP, etc. etc. Any other frames ya'll would recommend going to check out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I say new frame, move your better parts to the new frame then try to make your Marlin rideable with any old parts you may have laying around or budget replacements. It never hurts to have an extra hardtail.

The Titus looks like a nice deal, but if you want something lighter and even cheaper check out the Sette Ace at pricepoint.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Are there any threads on here with the Sette Ace is discussed in a little bit more detail than the XC race thread? I'm not opposed to riding a knock off frame if it's not a giant heaping pile of crap eh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrain
    Are there any threads on here with the Sette Ace is discussed in a little bit more detail than the XC race thread? I'm not opposed to riding a knock off frame if it's not a giant heaping pile of crap eh.
    I don't recall seeing any that had much detail in them. The one issue I find with a lot of frame reviews or threads dedicated to a frame, is that once someone decides to buy and build a specific frame, they tend to result in a somewhat positive bias towards that frame (everyone wants to like their own build).
    For the price, the Sette looks like a pretty nice frame. My concern with it is that it is a rather lightweght XC frame (especially in that price range), and if you are a heavier rider or like to go a little bigger and harder than the typical XC rider, you may want to stay away from it. If I wanted to build up a lightweight XC FS, I would certainly consider the Sette.
    The "Knockoff" mtb companies these days are actually putting out some nice stuff for great prices. I don't want to slander any manufacturer so rather than knockoffs, I'll call them lesser known brands. Sette also has those Carbon hardtail frames that look pretty nice, and bikesdirect and ibex have been offering some nice builds for very little money. I picked up a Jamis full suspension a couple of years back on clearance from Jensons, and that bike has been great and cost me less than what I typically spend on a hardtail build. I don't know that they are quite as good as the big brand names, but they have gotten a lot closer and are way cheaper. I hate to dis the brand names and the LBSs, but when I see what people are getting for their money going that route, especially in the <$1,000 price range, it just seems like they are getting ripped off.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Indeed. You're spot on with how people respond to their own builds, which is what makes me a little concerned about grabbing a frame I can't ride before hand. With the RX-1, I'm obviously not going to find that in a demo fleet, but I'll be able to track down a Racer X somewhere. Dropping an extra $200 on a frame I know I'll love isn't that big of a hang up for me.

I'm not a very big guy, 5'10" and 165 lbs. (trying to get back down to 150-155 prior to the summer), and I'm not interested in big hits, so a light weight frame doesn't concern me much.

mtbr member
    You would be fine with a Sette Ace Frame. Sette is far from a knock off company, its like saying because they make a flat handle bar its a knock off of someone else who makes a flat handle bar. Almost every single FS XC frame looks like the Ace, its already been proven that most manufacturers use a lot of the same frames not just Sette.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    its already been proven that most manufacturers use a lot of the same frames not just Sette.
    Really? How has that been proven?
    Certainly there are frame manufacturers that produce frames for multiple brands (bike manufacturers), but that doesn't mean the frames are the same. The bike company needs to spec the frame for the frame manufacturer, and the frame manufacturer builds to those specs. Just because a frame manufacturer produces some really nice frames for one company, doesn't mean they aren't also producing lower spec'd frames for someone else. If Sette properly specs their frames, and it is a quality manufacturer, they should get good frames. But if they spec a crappy frame, they will get a crappy frame regardless of how good the frame builder is.

mtbr member
    The new Vexx Frame matches 5 other manufacturers, one can only assume that it is the same for all the other frames. That doesn't mean they use the same exact frame as Trek, Specialized, or any of the larger companies but they probably use the same frames as a lot of other smaller companies.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    The new Vexx Frame matches 5 other manufacturers, one can only assume that it is the same for all the other frames. That doesn't mean they use the same exact frame as Trek, Specialized, or any of the larger companies but they probably use the same frames as a lot of other smaller companies.
    Well that's different than inferring (or blatantly stating) that some of these lower cost frames are the same frames as frames from the big brand names. I've been seeing a lot of that lately on these forums and I don't believe people have the facts to back that up. It's true that a frame manufacture may design and manufacture a frame and then sell it to other bike companies with their name on it. That would be more common with smaller bike companies. And even then, the manufacturer may allow the bike company to spec different tubing or variations on the frame that no longer make it identical to the others. But I would think (I don't have the facts to back this up) that most frames from the big name brands are actually designed and spec'd by those companies, therefore you shouldn't see the exact same frame with another name on it. If you do, it is a knockoff.

So what are you saying about the Sette frames?
    1. Are they buying no-name frames designed and manufactured by another company and having their names put on them, maybe specing some frame options?
    2. Are they designing frames (possibly with help from the frame manufacturer) and having them built by a frame manufacturer that also produces other frames for other bike companies?
    3. Are they exact copies of a name-brand frame?

I suspect they are a combination of 1 and 2. Which by themselves doesn't really tell you much about the frame itself. So I think people need to stick with evaluating the frame based on the frame itself, not some inference as to how it came about being.

mtbr member

Different Direction

Working within your budget of $600 or so I would probably be looking at used frames off Ebay and swapping the stuff over. Its probably a little bit of a gamble going with the Titus without a demo. I would take a look at the Specialized Stumpjumper, Epic and Giant Anthem and Trance. I like all four of these frames for XC and there are usually quite a few available on Ebay. You could easily check out the bikes first at your LBS and nail down the frame size and the geometry whether you want a more race like bike. Downside of course is you wont have a warranty but then if you are riding XC you probably wont have to worry as much about breaking a frame. Of the four I like the Anthem because its newer and I have seen too many people finish races ahead of me on Anthems. Specialized and Giant tend to fit a little different as Giant usually has frame sizes in even numbers and Specialized goes odd numbers like 17-19 although I think in the case of the Stumpjumper they offer an 18.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just got done doing the same thing, you can read my thread further down. One thing I would say is decide what you want and research what its worth, if you aren't in a rush, take your time before buying.

AZ
    banned
    You could do far worse than a Titus for a xc bike , try to ride as many different bikes as possible before buying . FWIW , I would never buy without riding first .

As far as the generic frames that you encounter such as Sette and others , be very careful with your hard earned money as alot of these bargain frames have low quality welds and tend to be over weight . Do your research carefully .