mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Leftover 2009 HT's

I am just getting back into mtn biking, having dusted off my 1998 Rockhopper and riding the single track. It was a great commuter and occasional off-road bike but now I'm being tempted by end-of-season deals.

I think the HT bikes are the best fit, I'm not racing or doing downhill, and I'm not good/fast enough to appreciate full suspension just yet. I want to go with disc brakes because it's so wet here in the Pac NW. I like technical riding best. Single-track, roots, logs, up and down hill. I'm not into jumping or downhill.

I don't know the component differences though so I could use advice. Good deals or no for my fit?

Rockhopper Pro - $1200
    Fork is RockShox Recon Race SL
    Brakes are Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic

Trek 6700 disc - $1200
    RockShox Recon SL
    Brakes are Avid Juicy 3 hyro

Rockhopper Expert Disc - $1000
    RockShox Tora SL
    Tektro Auriga Comp discs

Kona Caldera - $850
    RockShox TORA XC
    Shimano M575 disc

$1200 is about my limit, anything cheaper is a bonus. I guess what I'm looking for is the "sweet spot" - a bike that will fit me for a couple years without outgrowing it or wanting to buy new parts right away. I'm open to any brand really but I prefer USA made.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't think any of the frames listed above are made in USA. The decal might say Designed in USA or Assembled in USA which mean frame/parts were manufactured elsewhere.

Among aluminum production bikes only Cannondale still has frames with decals - Hand Made in USA.

There's no app for this.

How about close...

hand crafted in Vancouver, BC. http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+...E=522&Y=2009#2
    Rocky Mtn Trailhead XC ....it's $1249 CAD, don't know the US price.

http://www.bikes.com/main+en+07_100+Philosophy.html <-- manufacturing info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I can appreciate local-made, even if it's Canuckian.. I'll be in Vancouver in a couple weeks I'll drop by the local shop and check them out.

Think what I need to do is ride them and see what I think. The more I ride my old Rockhopper the more attractive a new bike becomes.

I'm SUCH a square....
    From your list, if I were picking, I'd be getting the Kona.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

There's no app for this.

B est price is at

Quote Originally Posted by InlawBiker
    I can appreciate local-made, even if it's Canuckian.. I'll be in Vancouver in a couple weeks I'll drop by the local shop and check them out.

Think what I need to do is ride them and see what I think. The more I ride my old Rockhopper the more attractive a new bike becomes.

--> Simon's Bike shop on Robson Street, you may want to check ahead to see if he has stock. He's been known to drop prices below what other dealers have as "sale" prices.

good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Alright why would you get the Kona? I'm all about saving dough I'd love to keep $400 extra in my pocket.

There's no app for this.

here's a comparison...

while not totally accurate (i.e. pricing missing on 1 bike) this might help.

IMHO the key would be 1) bike fit and lust and 2) best fork.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/S...=16932b+18850b
    Good luck, Jim