The Tassajara died.

Laying the Tassajara to rest and picking up a "No Way" Rey GT

Hello all,

I had a difficult time determining which subforum to post in and eventually ended up here. It's been a mighty long time since I posted, so here it goes..

My Tassajara finally bit the dust after 9 years of riding with lots of component upgrades, tubes, lubes & tires. I logged 3,000+ miles [according to my Cateye] on the frame and after a ride the other day I noticed a massive crack in the weld where the top tube meets the head tube. Considering I bought this in 2004 and logged as many miles as I have, it's time to bid farewell. I entertained the idea of having a friend that's a welder by profession take a look, but nah.

I took a look around and had a tough time finding something around $1000 [budget] that interested me; whether it be the brand, color, components, or a combination of all these things. That is until I saw GT released a commemorative line of bikes in celebration of "No Way" Rey's twenty-five years with GT. These bikes, like Hans, are rad!

Well, I ended up buying Rey's 26" Avalanche model from Performance Bike. Now, now, before anyone pipes up about Performance not being an LBS, they indeed are my LBS. I'm in Raleigh and their HQ is based in Chapel Hill, about 10 miles from my door step, along with a store just around the corner. Plus, I couldn't say no to the 30% back with the bike purchase. The bike is in-route to my local store for pickup and should be there sometime this week.

That's just about it for my cycling story, but first, I have to figure out how to spend that ~$300 I earned in "Performance Cash" along with some PayPal money that's been collecting dust.

The GT's component lineup has a few holes that I have covered already. The front & rear derailleur will be replaced with low mileage XT units that I had on the Tassajara, along with the shifters being swapped to a pair of XT - or maybe they're LXs. Anyway, those items are accounted for, well, unless I remove it all and covert to an SS which is something I've wanted to do for a long time on my Fisher.

That aside, I'm thinking a great place to save weight and improve overall performance would be to upgrade the fork. The Rock Shox XC28 appears to be a fairly basic - and heavy - 100mm fork. My first choice would be a Fox Shox and Performance has a Float that would fit perfectly and would shed 2lbs from total weight. I'm no weight weenie, but it counts!

Well, that's all folks. Any thoughts? Maybe I should've made you read more, eh? Thanks for taking the time to glance over my "Cool story, bro"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

neat

Cool story bro.
    You might want to take the fisher frame by a trek dealer. They have killer warranties and might just take care of you with a new frame. Have the dealer contact trek (who bought fisher) and don't just let them tell you no.

The Tassajara died.

Quote Originally Posted by rain164845 View Post
    Cool story bro.
    You might want to take the fisher frame by a trek dealer. They have killer warranties and might just take care of you with a new frame. Have the dealer contact trek (who bought fisher) and don't just let them tell you no.
    Here's the problem - I was working for an LBS when I bought the Fisher and they're not around anymore. To top it off, I don't have any proof of purchase. I could try, but I think it's a lose-lose situation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. Good luck!

The Tassajara died.

No luck with the frame repair, but the GT came in:

**forgive the poor quality picture