mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Kona Kula Deluxe 08? A good ride? Worth $2000?

All,

Bout to plunk down on a bike, got my eye on the Kona Kula Deluxe 08, tried doing research on the bike, but haven't found much review on it. What do you think of the spec and is it worth $2000?

Frame tubing Kona Race Light Scandium Butted
    Fork RockShox Reba SL 100mm
    Headset FSA Orbit DL
    Crankarms RaceFace Evolve XC X-Type
    Chainrings 44/32/22
    B/B RaceFace Evolve XC X-Type
    Pedals Shimano M505 Clipless
    Chain Shimano HG73
    Freewheel Shimano LX (11-32, 9spd)
    F/D Shimano XT
    R/D Shimano XT Shadow
    Shifters Shimano XT
    Handlebar FSA XC-282A OS
    Stem FSA OS 150LX
    Grips Kona Race Light
    Brakes Hayes Stroker Carbon Trail Hydraulic V6
    Brake Levers Hayes Stroker Carbon Trail Hydraulic
    Front hub FSA XC-300 Wheelset
    Rear hub FSA XC-300 Wheelset
    Spokes FSA XC-300 Wheelset
    Tires Maxxis Ignitor 26 x 2.1
    Rims FSA XC-300 Wheelset
    Saddle WTB Rocket V Comp
    Seatpost FSA FR270
    Seat clamp Kona Clamp
    Color Light Blue/White

mtbr member
    You should probably look for a steeper discount, $100 isnt much. Also in that price range it shouldnt have an Evolve crank or LX cassette. If I am spending $2000 on a race grade hardtail I would want an XTR crank and a Fox fork. I would also prefer the 11-34 cassette. On the other hand if this bike fits like a glove and you think it will take you to the podium buy it after you knock another $200 off the price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I love my 2007 Scandium Kona Kula Supreme. It is one of the best riding bikes I have ridden in 15 years of MTB riding and 10 years of racing. Extremely responsive and very light. Geometry is different from the standard 71/73 "Norba" geometry, but it seems to work very well. I bought it as a frame only and built it with parts I already had. I see the OP's point about the cranks and cassette, but new bike prices are higher than ever. You can get the frame from a Kona dealer for around $500, but the bike comes with a nice fork and pretty good spec IMO. Perhaps your dealer would be willing to change the cranks and cassette and give you credit for the old parts. Heck, cassettes wear out in no time anyway and you will be replacing it down the line. Maybe you could have the crank swapped out for a Shimano XT crank. I have no experience with the Race Face crank, so I cannot make a comment either way.

I think the bike is coming in at a pretty good pricepoint, but I am a bit biased towards Kona as I already have one and like it a lot.
    Thanks to www.fortframes.com

mtbr member
    I would definately swap out the crank for some XT's. Quite a few people have had problems with Race Face cranks (me included). Especially mid-level Evolve cranks. It's surprising to me that Kona would'nt at least spec a 2000 dollar hardtail with at least the Deus cranks if they are hell bent on using Race Face.