Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kona Cinder Cone or Giant Rainier

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  wickerman1 
#1 ·
Just want an opinion on what would be a better buy. I'm looking at the 2004 models of each. How does the 2004 Rainier compare to the 2005 Rainier?
Any other opions in the same price range would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Coops

#2 ·
Coops said:
Just want an opinion on what would be a better buy. I'm looking at the 2004 models of each. How does the 2004 Rainier compare to the 2005 Rainier?
Any other opions in the same price range would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Coops
The Cindercone is one of the highest ratest bikes in the product review area. After riding and buying one last fall I'd have to agree that its a great bike for the money. I rode the Ranier as well when I was testing but the Kona just felt like a better fit for me. I also rode a Rocky Mountain Trailhead and Elevation and a Specialized Rockhopper. You really need to ride a few different bikes to see what feels good to you. I'm assuming that you'd get a good deal on the '04 models with the '05 now being available.

#4 · (Edited)
more info please?

I am currently trying to decide between these two bikes. They are both around the same price, Could someone please explain in greater detail why they prefer one over the other componentwise. I am very new so I am unfamiliar with all these parts. ;)

Kona Cinder Cone 2005
Frame sizes 14", 16", 18", 19", 20", 21", 23"
Frame tubing Kona 7005 Butted Aluminum
Fork Marzocchi MZ Race 100mm
Headset Aheadset STS
Crankarms TruVativ Blaze ISIS
Chainrings 44/32/22
B/B TruVativ ISIS
Pedals Shimano PD-M505 clipless
Chain Shimano CN-HG53 (9sp)
Freewheel Shimano Deore 11-32 9 speed
F/D Shimano Deore
R/D Shimano Deore LX
Shifters Shimano Deore
Handlebar: Kona Aluminum Riser
Stem Kona Control
Grips Kona Jackshit
Brakes Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC
Brake Levers Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC
Front hub KK Disc
Rear hub Shimano Disc FH-M475 disc
Spokes Stainless 15G front, 14G rear
Tires Tioga Red Phoenix 26 x 2.0
Rims Sun Black Eye
Saddle WTB Pure V Sport
Seatpost Kona Thumb
Seat clamp Kona QR
Color Radar Green
Extras
1st Production 'August 2004

Giant Rainier 2005
color Team Blue/Polished Aluminum
features 14", 17", 19", 21"
frame Supersized ALUXX butted aluminum, XTC geometry, Integrated Headset, Disc brake mount
fork Marzocchi EXR Comp, 100mm travel
derailleur Front: Shimano Deore, Rear: SRAM X.7
derailleurshifters SRAM X.7 Trigger, 9-speed
cranks TruVativ G-Comp ISIS, 22/32/44T
pedals Shimano M505 Clipless
handlebar Easton EA50 31.8mm
stem Easton EA50 31.8mm
headset Integrated Ahead 1 1/8
brakes Hayes Sole hydraulic, 6" rotors
levers Hayes
saddle WTB Speed V Race
seatpost Easton EA50 27.2mm, QR Seat lever
rims Mavic XM117 Disc, black
hubs Shimano M475 disc, 32H, cassette
tires WTB WeirWolf Comp, 26x2.1
cassette SRAM PG-950, 11-34T, 9-speed
spokes Stainless steel 14G
additional Chainguard

Thanks

#5 ·
Those bikes are so close in componentry. I can't find a reason to suggest one over the other. I have an older rainier myself, and I am quite satisfied with it. Definitely a good value. Which can you get a better deal on? Consider that, as well as what feels best. Like one colour better than the other? Are they both from the same shop, or do you prefer the people at one rather than the other? Both are great bikes IMO.

#6 ·
I like both...but I choose the Giant

rkj__ said:
Those bikes are so close in componentry. I can't find a reason to suggest one over the other. I have an older rainier myself, and I am quite satisfied with it. Definitely a good value. Which can you get a better deal on? Consider that, as well as what feels best. Like one colour better than the other? Are they both from the same shop, or do you prefer the people at one rather than the other? Both are great bikes IMO.
Two reasons,.. .the Giant is cheaper $$ wise, and the tubing is formed by high water pressure as oppose to heat/ benders or whatever.

#7 ·
thanks for the replies, I guess my decision making got a little easier. I personally don't like the color of the Kona at all but I read that the Rainier scratches easily. Im not all for looks but it does matter.

I haven't priced them out that much in depth yet, I plan to this weekend. Thanks for your help any any additional advice is appreciated...

#8 ·
I like what rkj said.

I just recently bought my first bike too. It looks like you have a little higher budget than I did. I finaly went with an '04 Marin Palisades and I like it quite a bit. I was looking at a ton of different options including an 04 cinder cone. I liked the bike, but the marin was a great deal, and left some room for upgrades (which may sound weird but I want to learn and toy around). For me the deal was sealed when I walked into the shop that was selling the marin. They were much much nicer than the people where the Kona was sold. I felt like I had to change my speech when I went in and start calling everyone "brauh" Good luck.

#9 ·
1: Have you ridden both bikes?
If not stop here and go ride them.
2: Does one geometry fit you better?
If so then stop here and go choose the one that fits better.

I bought an '05 cindercone in November of '04. Gave it to my Dad when I bought a SC blur in February.
There are 2 downers to that bike:
Weight (my FS blur is like 5# lighter than the Cindercone - still alot better than many but still...)
Possibly the brakes (mine had to be sent back to hayes but were fixed 100%)

And something neat:
Kona gives you a small bottle of touch up paint. +1 kona

The giant you are looking at also has hayes brakes and my problem was likely just a fluke.

Are the sole brakes as good as or better than the HFX9XCs that are on the kona? Remember that brakes are one of the more expensive items and NOT something you want to have to upgrade. probably +1 kona

I think the WTB tires are heavier than the tiogas. So if the two bikes are similar in weight, that is an easy place to lose some. You will not be able to shave much off the kona by changing tires. +1 Giant

The tiogas are a royal PITA to get on and off the rims. You will need some muscle, patience and some strong tire levers. If you are prone to pinching - this may be something to think on. Seriously - they are very hard to deal with. -1 kona

What do you think you might like to upgrade on each bike?
Are you going to keep the frame for more than 2 years? If so it may be worth it to get a better frame and suffer a little in componentry for a year till you can upgrade. The end result would be having a better bike in 3 years. If you do not have the luxury of being able to upgrade parts at all - which bike would need fewer upgrades or cheaper upgrades to make you happy in 3 years?

My advice - have a look at the IBEX line before you buy anything. In this price range they OWN everyone else. (If I had to do it all over again this is what I would have gotten)

Trophy 880 disc $899

• Double-Butted 6061
Aluminum Frame
• Marzocchi EXR Race
Fork - Coil/Air
• 27-Speed Shimano
LX/XT Drivetrain
• Sun DS1-XC Disc Rims
on Shimano M525 Hubs
• Avid Juicy-5
Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Better Frame material
Better components ( by a large margin)
Better brakes

or
IBEX Trophy 770 Disc for $699

Double-Butted 6061
Aluminum Frame
• Marzocchi EXR Pro Air
Suspension Fork
• 27-Speed Shimano
Deore/LX Drivetrain
• Sun DS2-XC Disc Rims
on Shimano M475 Hubs
• Avid BB-5
Mechanical Disc Brakes

Better frame material
same components
same quality brakes
less $$

#10 ·
I can vouch for both Giant and Ibex

zenorb said:
My advice - have a look at the IBEX line before you buy anything. In this price range they OWN everyone else. (If I had to do it all over again this is what I would have gotten)

Trophy 880 disc $899

• Double-Butted 6061
Aluminum Frame
• Marzocchi EXR Race
Fork - Coil/Air
• 27-Speed Shimano
LX/XT Drivetrain
• Sun DS1-XC Disc Rims
on Shimano M525 Hubs
• Avid Juicy-5
Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Better Frame material
Better components ( by a large margin)
Better brakes

or
IBEX Trophy 770 Disc for $699

Double-Butted 6061
Aluminum Frame
• Marzocchi EXR Pro Air
Suspension Fork
• 27-Speed Shimano
Deore/LX Drivetrain
• Sun DS2-XC Disc Rims
on Shimano M475 Hubs
• Avid BB-5
Mechanical Disc Brakes

Better frame material
same components
same quality brakes
less $$
I've owned two Giants, and just recently purchased the Ibex. The Giants were very good bikes, and they are a great value. The only knock on Ibex is that you won't be able to ride it before you buy it. For most, that's a real problem. I do believe that Ibex will take the bike back if you don't like it. You'll be out your shipping costs to and from, though. If you decide to consider the Ibex, just check out their sizing charts, they're helpful, and a call to customer service will help. As zenorb said, the Ibex wins hands down on cost/value if you are willing to take the chance. I took a chance on the B-24 BSR and was not diasppointed.

Clyde

#11 ·
Hey thanks again everyone, Those Ibex bikes look pretty nice. I am a little worried about ordering one since I am in Canada and always get burned with brokerage fees and stuff like that. However, I will contact them and see if they can tell me exactly what it will cost to ship based on past orders to Ontario.

Is there some bikes that are comparable to the two Ibex bikes listed above that I could take for a spin first to get an bit of an idea?

This information has been very valuable and is sure helping me narrow down my options, especially since I am very unfamiliar with all this stuff.

Thanks again,

#12 ·
Best thing to do

jauiek said:
Hey thanks again everyone, Those Ibex bikes look pretty nice. I am a little worried about ordering one since I am in Canada and always get burned with brokerage fees and stuff like that. However, I will contact them and see if they can tell me exactly what it will cost to ship based on past orders to Ontario.

Is there some bikes that are comparable to the two Ibex bikes listed above that I could take for a spin first to get an bit of an idea?

This information has been very valuable and is sure helping me narrow down my options, especially since I am very unfamiliar with all this stuff.

Thanks again,
Check the frame geometry on the ibex bikes...
find a frame geometry on another bike that is close or the same, and go ride it,.... it might take some time to do to find the same geometry( or relatively close) but could be worth it if it saves you hundreds of dollars.
I'm selling my Rocky and also will be buying an IBex HT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.