mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Knolly Endorphin vs Chumba Racing XCL

I'm heavy (215lbs) and love the feel of my downhill bike. I'm looking for a good option for replacing my noodly flexy ironhorse MKiii before it breaks on me. I've only had it for a year and it's been relegated to riding from car to class at my college. Anyone have a good feel for the these bikes? They seem to be the only option for a climber spoiled by the efficiency of an ellsworth truth, slash, downhiller spoiled by my BigHit. If I opt for a lighter frame like a mojo, dw 5spot, epiphany, it'll probably be to flexy. Or other options like a pivot mach 5 may not be plush enough. Hence the Endo and XCL.

I don't know much about the Azonic Avenger or the Trek Remedy but I'm all ears for recommendations for a strong, stiff, plush, and efficient ride. If adding lightness to the previous criteria, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your input,
    William
    Our life is a journey. let it be epic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Im 242 lbs 6' height
    Im very happy with my Chumba XCL
    I ride technical trail with some drops (30-50 cm)
    This bike are build for big fellows but still weight like regular trail bike
    So if you as kme - go for it

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Change of heart.... Titus

Thanks for your input. That's a good testimony. I'm closely looking at the Titus el guapo... the 2009-2010 frames are absolutely gorgeous... and they're strong too. I still haven't counted out the XCL though...

There's no app for this.

If you can

swing a leg over an Endorphin; if you love the feel of a good DH/FR bike, the Endorphin is perfect for you. It's a trickle down design from the VTach FR bike that has the MTBR award for best FR bike for the last 4 years, if that helps.

It's built a bit heavier than most, is stiff, and points and rides where you aim it, just like a DH rig. Mine comes in at 33.5 lb, but that's with a Fox 36 and bigger tires as I ride the Norshore, so it's not set up as an AM bike.

Unlike the others, it uses top of line bearings and tolerances, which is why some of the original VTach bikes are still in use at Whistler after 3 years of rentals and beatings. You get what you pay for.

I can only relate to a Titus Motolite, the Knolly is so much stiffer and the cockpit is a way better fit for me.

You gotta try them all out though. Jim

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    swing a leg over an Endorphin; if you love the feel of a good DH/FR bike, the Endorphin is perfect for you. It's a trickle down design from the VTach FR bike that has the MTBR award for best FR bike for the last 4 years, if that helps.

It's built a bit heavier than most, is stiff, and points and rides where you aim it, just like a DH rig. Mine comes in at 33.5 lb, but that's with a Fox 36 and bigger tires as I ride the Norshore, so it's not set up as an AM bike.

Unlike the others, it uses top of line bearings and tolerances, which is why some of the original VTach bikes are still in use at Whistler after 3 years of rentals and beatings. You get what you pay for.

I can only relate to a Titus Motolite, the Knolly is so much stiffer and the cockpit is a way better fit for me.

You gotta try them all out though. Jim

That's some helpful info. Thanks.

regarding ergonomics, what are you dimensions and then what's the cockpit configuration and frame size?
    Thanks

There's no app for this.

My stats are

skewed as I'm one of those with short legs and a long torso. @ 5'11" and a 30-31 inseam, I ride a large Stumpy FSR, and the endorphin is also a large (fitted personally by friend Noel Buckley, founder and chief muckety-muck of Knolly bikes (Knolly is his nickname). That means a 24" ETT, if that helps at all. Most all Knolly dealers have some sort of demo bike; I don't know where you live but a quick search on the Knollybikes.com website might turn up a dealer close to you. It's worth a try, and I warn you that once you've ridden one, you're going to buy one.

OTOH with the stiff frame and superior bearings, replacement will be a loooooooooooooooooooooonggggggggggggggg way off.

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epicjurneez
    Thanks for your input. That's a good testimony. I'm closely looking at the Titus el guapo... the 2009-2010 frames are absolutely gorgeous... and they're strong too. I still haven't counted out the XCL though...

Go with the Guapo. Killer bike. Light, strong and dead sexy.