Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Klein Pulse II to ???

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bridgestone14 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

So years ago when I was younger, I used to ride a fair amount and am looking at getting back into it. I'm sure I've lost most of my skills since then and have certainly forgotten a lot of the knowledge.

At any rate, my bike back then was a Klein Pulse II (predecessor to the Attitude) and I'm sick at myself for getting rid of it now, but what is done is done I suppose. Anyhow, I'm looking for a hardtail that rides similar to my old Klein. I've considered getting a used Attitude (I'm leaning more towards this at the moment), but would like to consider some newer options as well before doing that.

My budget is anywhere at or below $1200 and right now I've looked at (online mostly) a few bikes including Giant XTR, Stumpjumper, Trek 6700, and Hoo Koo E Koo. I'll be doing mostly casual XC.

Any other recommendations are appreciated.

#2 ·
The Pulse II used the gradient ZR9000 tubing...which is now what Trek calls Alpha Red tubing and Gary Fisher (owned by Trek) calls Platinum tubing (Trek owned and destroyed Klein...but took their tubing technology)...So a HKEK would have the same tubing (or a Trek 8000).

That said, Aluminum technology has come a long way since the mid 90's so most $1200 aluminum hardtails will ride very well.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input.

I took a look at the options you mentioned and some others and determined that I'd get another Klein. I found a pre-Trek Attitude for a fairly decent price, the components are obviously fairly old, but I was planning on replacing most of them anyway at some point. It is in near perfect shape and I'd be able to use the remaining money on getting better components.

#5 · (Edited)
Yep, the one I got is a '96, a year newer (IIRC) than my old Pulse II. I've got new shifters/levers and brakes on the way, they were the first to go on my last one and I'll be doing the same thing this time around.

Quick question maybe you can answer. IIRC the earlier Attitudes used a proprietary bottom bracket. While I have no interest in replacing it, my only real concern is that when it comes time to service (and/or replace it) I won't be able to find one that fits. Are there other brackets that will fit the frame available or will I have to hunt down a replacement Klein?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.