mtbr member
    May 2006

Klein Palomino Frame Question for the Experts

I have a 2003 Klein Palomino Team that has been nothing but a pleasure to own and ride. Numerous upgrades have kept it tip top shape over the years, but I can't imagine riding a bike without the Maverick style suspension.

Recently I've been shopping around for a backup and keeping my eyes out for spare parts/frames etc when I see great deals.

One thing I recently noticed is that somewhere in 2005 they changed the rear swingarm quite a bit. They ditched the typical Trek disc adapter and made it look a lot more like the Seven version of the rear swingarm with a much larger brace for the dropouts and disc mounts.

Can anyone give me more details about what date builds have this swingarm, why they did it and if this is desireable or not? Very few pictures can be found on Google and no images are in archives of the Klein website of frames with this configuration.

Thanks!

T.W.O.
    Cool, I'm a big Monolink fanboi too. I'm not sure which one you are talking about I had 2 palomino but both required Trek style adapter. I don't think you'd see significant improvement with the new one because it's still a bolt on to the shock, but if you change the link you'd see noticeable improvement over small bumps.

I put the Hammerschmidt on my Seven Duo for XC riding it was awesome as Monolink is not effected by ring size you are riding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Here is the style of swingarm on my current frame:

This is an image of the latest model frame that I can find nothing about anywhere online:

Notice how they changed the dropouts. Quite significantly I might add.

T.W.O.
    I think that they just redo the disc tab it does look beefier. Don't know if they do the rest of the rear tri though. Nice color.

Here's mine Monolinks and Hammerschmidt link.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sweet looking Seven!!! I especially like the looks of the front forks.

Yes, the rear dropouts look much more like the Seven dropouts than the older Klein or Maverick ones.

T.W.O.
    I put the Duc32 on the Seven before it's very sweet. Now I'm going thru the single crown look on the Seven

T.W.O
    MIMI STOP THE PICTURES.. or send me a few bikes

btw I had a chance to ride one of these as I was shopping for an xc bike and the thing rides great.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    MIMI STOP THE PICTURES.. or send me a few bikes

btw I had a chance to ride one of these as I was shopping for an xc bike and the thing rides great.
    The best thing is that the 6.5" ML8 climb as well as the 4" ML7/palomino You should come down Socal and we go hit some trails

T.W.O
    Buy me a plane ticket.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    back to the OP.

they changed the disc mounts for the last year's model because of vibration issues when braking with the previous year models. my wife owns both, a 2004 and the dark blue last year's model (this one only says palomino without a model number behind it). and it is clearly an improvement.

i hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for putting us back on topic hellocook!

That is the answer I was looking for. That is also what I assumed, that it had something to do with the brakes. I have an older 2003 Palomino with V-brakes and just purchased the newer model . I was surprised that I could find very few pictures of the latest model and when I went to archives of the Klein site they showed the 2005 model with the older dropouts which makes me think it might even have been a mid-production change. Oh well, too bad they're not around anymore to ask!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    http://www.leucadiabikes.com/bikes.php?id=21

this is the latest model, though you cant see much of the drop outs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This looks like the best place to ask this question. I have the Palomino frame with out the drop outs and I was wondering if it was possible to use an IS mount brake?? I already ordered the Trek disk brake adapter which will go on first, is there another adapter that will attach to the Trek adapter and allow me to use an IS mount brake caliper.. Thanks in advance.. JUST like in the very first picture of the Blue Palomino frame..

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by as6760 View Post
    This looks like the best place to ask this question. I have the Palomino frame with out the drop outs and I was wondering if it was possible to use an IS mount brake?? I already ordered the Trek disk brake adapter which will go on first, is there another adapter that will attach to the Trek adapter and allow me to use an IS mount brake caliper.. Thanks in advance.. JUST like in the very first picture of the Blue Palomino frame..
    Yep, that's the correct adapter it would fit 51mm IS brake, but there's no problems taking 74mm PM mount as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Always be closing????

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by as6760 View Post
    Always be closing????
    No post number 6 he needed 10 to be able to post his Scott Ransom pic on another thread