mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Klein MC2 Headset/Fork removal issues

I bought a '96 Klein Attitude a few months ago with the fact in mind I'd be replacing basically everything but the frame. This is fine except that the headset and BB require reducers in order to fit modern parts.

My issue is specifically with the headset, in that, we can't get the old one off. I bought the Reset Racing headset that reduces the size steerer tube the frame can take, so I'm good on that front, but we obviously can't get it on if we can't get the old one off.

My local bike shop has hammered it with a mallet and a normal hammer, it didn't budge. They apparently put a fair amount of force into it with no luck. They called Trek and spoke to 2 techs, neither of which had any experience on the 10+ yr old frame. He's gonna spray some thing inside to loosen the loctite, but he didn't sound too hopeful it would work. I'm at somewhat of a dead end here, the only other recommendation I had was to soak it in Coke and hope it eats away whatever is holding the bearings in, but I risk damaging the otherwise paint.

The bike shop said they were concerned it was corrosion, however it left us both a bit mystified as there is no other corrosion anywhere on the bike that we know of.

Like I said, the frame is a 1996 and uses the MC2 style which is press-in

I know from other posts a few folks here have experience with the older Kleins, so I wanted to reach out and see what kind of advice you could offer. I'm at risk of having to basically put away a $250+ headset or buy a new frame as a result of this, so any advice is much appreciated.

EDIT:

Realized I shoulda put this in the vintage section, I'd have deleted this but it wouldn't let me

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/klein-mc2-headset-fork-removal-issues-555742.html#post6111630
    Last edited by Adodero; 09-15-2009 at 05:07 PM.

switchback sculptor
    thermal expansion is your friend...

1- soak a towel in boiling water and wrap it around the headtube.
    2- chill the headset with icecubes
    3- smack it again

...it should come right out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erosive
    thermal expansion is your friend...

1- soak a towel in boiling water and wrap it around the headtube.
    2- chill the headset with icecubes
    3- smack it again

...it should come right out.
    hmm, I had heard of using a hair dryer or air gun, but not that. I might give that a shot if all else fails, thanks.

mtbr member
    It'll never work. Give the frame to me.
    Klein Attitude & Palomino replaced with an 09 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite.

switchback sculptor
    ...hair dryer or heat gun can boil your pretty klein paint.
    that's why heat guns are called "paint strippers"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Success!!

Don't ask what it took, it'll make you cry. I basically had to put a LOT of heat on it, but I heard the loctite crack when I had put enough heat onto it. After that, 2 hits of the hammer and it slid right out.

The toolkit from first flight helped and will make installing the new headset easier, but it wasn't necessary (sorry guys).

I basically hit the thing for 30 minutes at least with a 3lb hammer and it wouldn't budge, so heat was the only way it was going to work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero
    Success!!

Don't ask what it took, it'll make you cry. I basically had to put a LOT of heat on it, but I heard the loctite crack when I had put enough heat onto it. After that, 2 hits of the hammer and it slid right out.

The toolkit from first flight helped and will make installing the new headset easier, but it wasn't necessary (sorry guys).

I basically hit the thing for 30 minutes at least with a 3lb hammer and it wouldn't budge, so heat was the only way it was going to work.

Wanna get rid of all that old hardware? I need everything except the bearing. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Jared

mtbr member
    Go on
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/
    there are many Klein crazy retro collectors, some of them maybe of help to you.