mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Klein Attitude Race

I've been offered a 2000 model Klein "Attitude Race" for $599. All the components are stock. Should I jump on this deal or try and get the guy to go a bit lower?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How much has it been used? I don't see how it could be worth that much unless it was never used..and even then it wouldn't be a great price...

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Well.... if it's an extra small and you don't want it please give him my contact info.

Ok, in seriousness (not that I wasn't being serious)... It's a Klein, and I'll assume it's got the cool fade paint job. People pay more for these things than they would a trek, giant, specialized, etc of similar parts and vintage. It's the paint, the internal cable routing and the perceived collectibility.

Now, that said, it's a 2000 so far from old enough to be "pre-trek" and thus it's not really collectable (those are early 90's bikes), and old enough to have depreciated appreciably. It's probably a $2500 bike new, so I'd venture to say that $600 is not a bad price, but it's not a steal either.

If you just want a bike with good components that's fun to ride on then you can get a better deal on a similarly priced bike (and probably be happier as the Kleins are extremely rigid and extremely race oriented, so they are said to "beat up" a rider and some don't like that. Others love that because they love the climbing ability that comes with the stiff frame.). However, if you want a KLEIN it's probably not a bad deal. I might offer less and see what the counter move is if I was going for Klein, and would probably move on if I was "just looking for a bike".

mtbr member
    Same question was posed a year ago and I think I said to offer $400, the seller sold to another buyer and got his $600. If its all original and even though its a little dated a Sid fork, and 752 XT cranks, and a light set of wheels would make it very competitive today. I guess it depends how much wear on the stuff. I dont know if it has rim brakes but a 2000 bike with decent wear and rim brakes that need replacing I think is worth less say $400. Its a Klein so you might have to pay more than say a similar Giant XTC or Stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's a Large (sorry) but I think I'm gonna see if I can get it for less, as the $600 is a bit high on my student budget anyway. Thanks much!

Texan
    It's a Klein!