mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Kink Kikapu or 575?

I am looking for a new FS XC bike in the $2500 range. I would like a bike that climbs well but can also go down pretty quick too. The Yeti seems to have great reviews but I'm concerned about how well it climbs. I can't tell what rear shock they have spec'd for 2005.
    The Kikapu has the Fox rp3 in back which everyone raves about as well as a scandium frame although I don't know much about that material. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by pogie
    I am looking for a new FS XC bike in the $2500 range. I would like a bike that climbs well but can also go down pretty quick too. The Yeti seems to have great reviews but I'm concerned about how well it climbs. I can't tell what rear shock they have spec'd for 2005.
    The Kikapu has the Fox rp3 in back which everyone raves about as well as a scandium frame although I don't know much about that material. Thanks for any input.
    You are deciding on two completely different bikes. The Kikapu is a lightweight xc machine with only 3" of travel (I think) and is not made for heavy duty trailriding. the scandium material is generally used on lightweight xc bikes.

The 575 has just under 6" of travel and is meant for serious/hardcore trail riding. The Kona will be a better climber but for a general purpose trailbike the 575 is an excellent choice and will smoke the Kona on the downhills and technical riding ie.roots, rocks, jumps. With only 3" of travel the Kona will be unforgiving over the long haul compared to the 575. If you are into technical trails and like to ride hard the 575 is for you. The 575 is rated as a decent climber as well. There is always a tradeoff with climbing vs descending with a longer travel bike. If you only ride smooth trails and plan to race xc then the Kona may be a good choice.

You should check out the manufacturer section on this website for the 575.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i have had my 575 for about 2 weeks and absolutely love it...it climbs remarkably well (better than my stumpjumper) and of course is fun going down...mine has the fifth element but i don't think you could go wrong either way.. i would highly suggest the talus up front because of the adjustability
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

stay thirsty, my friends
    If you could only get one bike (not one dedicated xc and one dedicated freeride-ish bike) then it's hard to beat the 575.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I know they're different kinds of bikes, so the question is....How well would the 575 do as a XC race bike. All of my local courses are technical....How well would the Kikapu do for fast downhills. I don't freeride I just like to hammer the downhills after the climb. The neww Kikapu increased travel to 4" front and back. Overall I guess which is the better bike if you could have only 1 and wanted to race XC?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Comes down to riding.

The 575 is more suited to endurance style riding/24 hours of adrenaline on technical courses than xc racing. You could race it, but if you are competitive I think you will not be happy with your decision. The Yeti has almost 6" of travel and is built for serious trail riding.

I originally thought the Kikapu only had 3" of travel but now that it is 4" it might be better for you for trail riding and for xc racing on the side. A skilled rider can go fast downhill on a 3" travel, hardtail, or a rigid bike. The Kikapu just wont be as comfortable or confidence inspiring as the Yeti on a technical downhill. On long technical rides the Yeti will be easier on the body than the xc oriented Kikapu. If you are a lightweight rider the Kikapu might not be a bad decision either. If you are heavier like, 190lbs+ I would be leaning towards the Yeti for durability issues.

It sounds like you are more into the xc side of things, but you should try the Kikapu out and put it through the paces and do the same with the Yeti if you can find one built up.

If I could only have one bike it would be the Yeti. I dont race xc though, but I like having a bike that can take a beating and not worry about it breaking.

I hope I did not confuse you too much.
    Last edited by ronny; 10-24-2004 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 575 is being spec'd with a Fox RP3 shock for 2005.
    [SIZE=2]
    www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Yes... the 575 is being specd with the RP3 for 05... you can also get the 5th air on it.

I have an 04 575 with the 5th, and once you get it dialed in, it climbs very well. Another big difference that no one has mentioned yet is the geometry differences. The 575 is designed to be a nimble trail bike - and that's exactly what it is. I know a few people who race 575s, and if built up with light parts, it can come in around 26lbs. The Kona is designed as an XC bike though - so it all depends on how you are going to use it.

Unless you are racing, I don't think you can go wrong with the 575. There may be better options, but the 575 wouldn't be a bad bike for you.

Ride on
    Jan 2004

what about other XC bikes?

The Yeti 575 is an excellent trailbike; the Kona Kikapu doesn't get as much attention as a XC bike. Kona has a good reputation, but they are better known for their freeride bikes. You might be better off looking at a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100, or the new Giant Trance, or some other brand better known for their XC models. You can probably get a good deal on a 2004 Stumpjumper if they have any in your size. Is there some other reason why you prefer the Kikapu?

I don't think I would try to race competitively on my 575; the fork is too tall for really efficient climbing and all that travel robs me of acceleration. That said I can still climb knarly stuff; I just have to be more careful about my weight distribution. And I can get plenty of speed going downhill I am thinking about trying a race or two with some lighter tires.

FYI Scandium is the common name for a relatively new aluminum alloy made with small amounts of the element scandium. It has the same basic characteristics of any other aluminum alloy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I started looking at the Konas because of the perceived value of the Kikapu Deluxe. I could get one of those for around $1550. Seemed like a great deal for a bike with the Fox RP3 shock, discs etc. I like the SJs but the 04 have 3" of travel vs. the 05 Konas 4". The 05 SJ have the extra travel but seem to be about $200-$300 more for about the same bike. The Trek Fuel Exs seem intriguing but I am wary of Rock Shox products.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    The 575 is being spec'd with a Fox RP3 shock for 2005.
    My '04 has an Rp3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pogie
    As other have mentioned, these are 2 completely different bikes. You really should make a choice about travel before you start looking at bikes.

What's more important to you....racing or trail riding? THe Kikapu will be the better race, but will be rougher on technical trails. The Yeti will be the better trail bike, but won't be a very good racer.

Once you decide on the amount of travel that you want (based on your intended use)......then you can look at bikes in that range. The people here can't make this decision for you. You really have to decide what's important....to you.

I'd take the Yeti over the Kikapu any day, but I don't race very often and when I do, placing isn't very important to me. If I were racing often and placing was important, then I'd take the Kikapu (out of your 2 choices)

I have a buddy in a similar position as you. He wants a new bike. He's looking at trail bikes, lightweight racers, you name it. He's been considering a bike for a long time but can't make up his mind. The problem is that he'll never be able to choose a bike until he decides what's important to him (racing, trail riding, FR) I know him pretty well and I believe that he will eventually get a lightweight racer. Racing's important to him and his current bike is a pig for racing.

Good Luck.