mtbr member
    Jan 2009

khs xc team - thoughts?

anyone have any thoughts or experiences with the khs xc team frame.

thinking of picking one up as my first full suspension mountain bike. i can get the frame for $560. i could canabalize my hardtail for all the parts, except the brakes (still have v-brakes), but my new wheels have disc hubs.

currently looking at a trek top fuel 8, but this would fit the wallet much better.

mtbr member
    Funny I was just checking out the Fuel 8 ex. very sweet bike. I used to think that treks were starting to make their mt. bikes look like road bikes. But I guess the look grew on me. Love the attention to detail on the Trek and the top of the line frames are made in the USA.

The frame is good, but it is not a pretty as the Trek. I built up a KHS AM2000. not pretty but functional and can take a beating. Only the frame and handle bar is stock.

Get discs preferably hydraulic, you'll l get much more power for the long steep downhills, and the wet, there is no comparisn. Unfortunately you will to change wheelsets. Go lighter if you do.

good luck on your swap!
    Last edited by nagatahawk; 09-14-2009 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dude, hop all over that KHS. They are very underrated bikes. I have the XC604 and love it. The horst sussy is built to Spec's specifications and works very well. Only bob is when mashing out of the pedals. That shock alone retails for over hallf the price of that frame. I'm 5'8 and ride the Med and it fits like a glove.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by golfernut78
    anyone have any thoughts or experiences with the khs xc team frame.

thinking of picking one up as my first full suspension mountain bike. i can get the frame for $560. i could canabalize my hardtail for all the parts, except the brakes (still have v-brakes), but my new wheels have disc hubs.

currently looking at a trek top fuel 8, but this would fit the wallet much better.
    I just built up an XC604 for the wife and we are pretty happy with it. AFAIK, the xc team frame is lighter. If we could have afforded it we would have gotten the team for the better shock, and I believe the tubing may be different. Here is a link to the build:

Build with "budget" KHS XC604 frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Team does have upgraded tubing, shock and bushings. As a complete bike, that bike supposedly retails for over $3k built up with top components. As far as the negative responses that you find in the link kapusta posted, I have not experienced any flex, bushing wear, linkage play, etc. My bike gets about 50 miles a month of rough and technical single track and the bike hasn't even farted. Good buy in my opinion. My xc604 build is as follows:

stock headset, reba race, deus bars, titec hellbent stem & seatpost, x7 fd & shifters, x9 rear, bb7, lx cranks, zonos wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for the feedback. keep the comments coming.

i should have said that i plan on this being an xc rig. i did notice it was 6 lbs, which has me looking at a new fork, something lighter and better than my tora race solo air.