mtbr member

KHS XC 204 Frame - Good deal?

Hi,
    I am looking for a full suspension frame to move my upgraded parts from my hardrock to. I am just looking for a frame that is more forgiving on the trail. The trails I ride are rocky with roots and the trails are very hilly. So I am looking for a decent climber.I am not an aggressive rider nor a speed demon. I like to get out for exercise and to have fun. I am about 6ft tall and 175 lbs. Is the KHC XC 204 frame on sale at wheel world for $299 a good deal? It got decent ratings on this website. Any other good value frames out there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Decent enough frame for the price. Eventually you will want to replace the shock with something better, but for now, ride it the way it is, built up of course.

mtbr member
    Do you own one? You have a KHS 004? on your profile

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes I do. XC004, same frame as the XC204. I've upgrade the bike way beyond stock and it rides better now than when it came off the showroom floor. I don't ride it much if any though. It was for my wife, she rode it maybe 3 times off-road. I just keep throwing parts on it just because.

mtbr member
    Thanks the-one1. I found out the warranty is only 1 year. This makes it less of a deal in my opinion. But we shall see. I have been watching CL and Ebay for quite some time and havent come across anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    safme, the KHS should have a 5 yr warranty, at least mine does. The xc204 frame is the same chasis as the 004-604, not the team frame. The Team frame only has a 2 yr warranty because it is "expected" to be raced.
    If you look on ebay for a 6.5" x 1.5" rp23 as a shock upgrade you can turn that bike into a really nice ride. There are plenty of OEM rp23's on there and you should be able to get one for $250.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 204 with rp23 for $550. I can't think of another frame with a good suspension design for around that price. Sure, there are better frames out there but they are at least 2x's as much. The only down side to the KHS XC line is their weight but if you aren't racing, what difference does 3/4 lb make? The extra weight adds to the burleyness of the frame with HT gussets, larger tubes, etc.

mtbr member
    I decided to order the XC 204 frame. I am very excited and cant wait to start building it up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Any progress on your build?

mtbr member
    As a matter of fact yes. Just got it completed on Friday and my hardrock back to its stock self. Unfortunately, I havent been able to ride it yet due to minor surgery. Per Dr. have to wait until next weekend to ride. Trying to decide if the 110mm stem is too long for me.

Here is a pic and list of components.

Tora 318 Coil Fork
    Older XT Rear
    Deore Front
    Deore Hollowtech2 Crank
    LX shifters
    BB7's with Deore levers
    Mavic Crossride wheels
    Race Face Deus XC Stem
    Easton EA50 Post
    Ritchey Severe Duty? Bars

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wow. That looks awesome. What was the final cost of the build? Did you already have the components or did you buy them? I'm considering building a full susser but have never built a bike before.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the compliment! I had all the components except for the stem, seat post and headset. The total build including all the parts that I had on my hardrock was about $1400 + $47 for a shock pump Even buying closeouts, parts on sale, and on ebay it was not as low budget as I hoped but was fun to build and I accumulated the parts over time. I took it out for a few laps around the neighborhood to tune it up and it rides well. Well see how it performs on the trails.

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy
    Wow. That looks awesome. What was the final cost of the build? Did you already have the components or did you buy them? I'm considering building a full susser but have never built a bike before.
    you should. it's damn near a perfect frame to build up on. a XCx04 isn't something to be underestimated. had my, former XC104, done up to a Team lvl, except for the 104 being 6061alu. rode really well too, until the seat post cracked just above the top tube weld. gotta like warranties . now i have a 604 , and I gotta say, black is beautiful . so, yeah, grab up a x04 and have at it.
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    How did you get the frame for $299??? They have them listed at $399 right now. I wanna grab one myself, seems like a good buy. But I wannt get the $299 deal!!