mtbr member
    Apr 2004

KHS FXT Comp '96

Hi, first of all, this is my first post so bear with me and if this post is in a wrong forum, feel free to move it to the appropriate ones. Thanks!

Ok, I am planning to start downhill mountain/recreational biking this season (nothing crazy) and in process of search for a bike, I came across this used bike.

I don't know a whole lot about this bike so if you can share your experience/ opinion that would be great.
    - How much would you pay for it?
    - What should I been looking into buying a used bike (in general)?
    - How do I determine if the shock needs a rebuilt?

Thanks in advance for your time!

KHS FXT Comp '96
    Rock shock Quad 21R ajustable front suspension
    Adjustable rear suspension
    Shimano V brakes
    97-98 Rear end
    XTR hub
    Grip shift
    Cat eye speedometer

Weekend Warrior
    Mar 2004

You might want to consider something else unless the price is very low

I had that same bike back in 96-97, but the weird thing is that mine was an aluminum frame (1 1/8" head tube) and that one is a cro-mo frame (1" headtube). For starters the front shock is terrible, it is a elastomer shock and you will only get about a 1.5 to 2" of travel out of it. If you were to try to upgrade it you would have a tough time finding a replacement with a 1'" steerer. The rear shock was made by Noleen and a very odd size. Since it was nearly impossible to find a replacement I was stuck with having to wait forever for Noleen to service it. The rear bolts on the 4 bar linkage have a tendency to work themselves loose so you will have to retighten then after every ride, maybe even during your rides and the worse part is that when you tighten the bolts very tight so then don't work themselves loose then the rear suspension tends to get real notchy and stiff. The drivetrain is an 8sp and it's difficult to find replacement parts for 8sp.

Maybe I would pay $150. I am sure the person selling it to you is going to tell you that they paid over a $1000 for it but times have changed and so has parts. Depending on what you want to do with it I might consider buying something else. If anything is worn out on it, which I am sure some things will need to be replaced, then it's going to end up being a money pit and in the end you will just wish you bought a new, closeout bike from your local bike shop. Most local bikes shops offer a free one year bike tune up when you buy a bike from them and that can be a very big plus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the review!! I would try to see if I can talk down the price more than.

Question #2, how often would a rebuild/re-service required for suspension like those ones? (The rear one is Noleen) is there a way I can identify whether require a rebuild?

I've heard the Rock Shock are not even rebuild-able, are they?

So, if it's needed to be rebuild, roughly how much would that usually cost?

Thanks again!

beer *****es n' bikes
    That thing is 100% non upgradable, will bob like crazy and will be utterly useless on a downhill course. Its a 96! Thats like eons ago in bike years, especially in full suspension bike years. Sorry to say that bike is worthless as a trail ride, its more a "retro" piece than anything. The front shock isn't servicable anymore really, and since its a 1" steerer you won't be able to upgrade it ever.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by seely
    That thing is 100% non upgradable, will bob like crazy and will be utterly useless on a downhill course. Its a 96! Thats like eons ago in bike years, especially in full suspension bike years. Sorry to say that bike is worthless as a trail ride, its more a "retro" piece than anything. The front shock isn't servicable anymore really, and since its a 1" steerer you won't be able to upgrade it ever.
    Is there are reason why those 1" steerer is un-upgradeable? Are those being discontinued in that size?

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by New Phase!
    Is there are reason why those 1" steerer is un-upgradeable? Are those being discontinued in that size?
    1" steerers were the standard until around '94/'95 when companies started to switch to a 1 1/8... if thats a '96 I am a bit surprised its got a 1" steerer fork on it... but yeah you just can't buy a decent, or even worthwhile fork with a 1" steerer tube at all anymore. I think Marzocchi may make one but they run about $400 last I checked. I would totally pass on this bike. For $150 you should be able to get a decent used upgradable hardtail, albeit an old one.

My advice: spend more like $300-350 if you are going to go used (which I think is always a bad idea for beginners) and get something fairly late model and fairly decent. You're not going to enjoy the sport if the bike sucks and is having constant mechanical problems. A lot of customers come into our shop with a great bike the got used and find out that it needs $150 in work due to improper maintenance, something important and expensive is stripped out, the seller lied about the year of the bike, the parts they bought to go with it won't work, etc etc. Its better to buy new from a shop and get a service warranty (which most shops offer a free 1yr service agreement) than to buy a used POS and spend $$$ on repairs. The LBS won't help you out any if you didn't buy it from them.

Weekend Warrior
    Mar 2004
    After further thinking about it, I agree with Seely. Pass on the bike! I don't know how much you intend on spending but I just picked up an '03 Jamis Dakar, which is a full suspension bike, for $449 from Performance Bikes for my girlfriend. It comes with the full warranty and for 1 full year I can take it back to then for any minor fixes/tuneups.

It you go on the message board on "What bike to buy" and list your price range I am positive you will get very good feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was budgeting around 350-400 to start (cause I figure if I would really like this sport that I could further invest on the bike, ie: upgrade), but then looked at decent brand new bike the price tag were kinda out of my range so the idea of buying a bike was kinda put on hold.

Then just came across seeing this one being posted and wonder if it would be a decent deal for a beginner bike, but seeing all those negative. (ie: not upgrade-able) about the bike, I am definitely hesistated. (lucky that I asked)

Weekend Warrior
    Mar 2004
    When shopping for your new bike, keep in mind that the main difference between bikes with different prices is the parts spec'd on the bike at build time. Most of the time a manufacturer will have several different models with different price points with the only difference being the parts. If you are on a budget then just make sure that the frame is good because you can always upgrade parts as time goes one. Keep in mind that you will get the best deal if you get a mid to upper priced bike right off the showroom floor because you will pay way more later on to upgrade the parts to match what they offer. The biggest mistake bike buyers make is that they overbuy when they purchase a bike. Figure out what kind of riding you will be doing, be honest with yourself and then decide based on your needs. Yeah, it's cool to see guys dropping off cliffs in the videos but is that something that you really would be doing? Speaking from experience there is a price to pay, the hospital bills are outrageous and you really hurt financially with the missed time from work while you recover.

Who knows, you may be able to find a great deal on a 1 or 2 year old used bike. I don't know how people are where you are but here in So Cal, I know tons of people that buy great bikes that are just used a few times and then it sits in the garage and collects dust only to be sold years later for only a small fraction of what they paid for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks again for all the nice responds. I am glad to ask before hand know and know what to get and what not to get! thanks again guys!

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by New Phase!
    Thanks again for all the nice responds. I am glad to ask before hand know and know what to get and what not to get! thanks again guys!
    Anytime... most people on here like to help people avoid what can be a costly mistake. We want to see newb's enjoy the sport as much as possible with as little frustration as possible. Being a mechanic I have very few qualms about buying a used bike, because I know what to look for and can fix just about any mechanical problems pretty easily and pretty inexpensively. As an "outsider" a mistaken bike purchase can be very $$$ and frustrating and sour your taste of the sport. I bought a used road bike several years ago that was "mechanic owned, never crashed, blah blah blah" In any case, the bike was a total lemon, the guy lied about the size and I spent about $150 in the first week I had it, and it still wasn't right. Knowing what I know now that won't happen again but I try to steer people who maybe don't have an extensive knowledge of bikes to the "new" department vs. used.