mtbr member
    Apr 2013

To keep or not to keep. Need some help from you guys

So, I have a Cannondale F400 that I bought brand new in 2004. I rode it for a season, then I met my Wife and my brother asked to borrow it up in RI. I let him have it, and I never looked back.
    I am now back to riding again, and my mother shipped my bike to me here in SC, and to my surprise, it is in the same condition as it was when it left me...never ridden once. Everything on this bike is still brand new (as brand new as it CAN be for 9 years old).
    My question is, should I keep it? or get rid of it? The Manitou Axel Comp fork is perfectly fine, as is the Serec XC tires, Deore derailleurs and everything else. As anything you get away from for a few years or more, things change and upgrade quickly...I'm not sure what type of stuff on this bike is even worth a dollar on ebay.
    I guess what I'm looking for, is, is this still a decent intro bike for XC and should I just run with it and upgrade as needed, or sell it and buy something else...I kinda like the bike and have some sentimental value to it. Lol! I do have some money aside to upgrade a few things as needed.
    Thanks
    Kevin

mtbr member
    Wow good question... If you keep it, minimum replace the tires and tubes of course.... Might have to service the fork... other than that- RIDE!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah, that's what I thought too, but damn where did time go!!?? I mean, disc brakes were just coming around and now I can't even find decent V-Brakes for an upgrade. This website is very informative, I'm sure in time, I'll figure it all out, thanks!

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by kbeck620 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought too, but damn where did time go!!?? I mean, disc brakes were just coming around and now I can't even find decent V-Brakes for an upgrade. This website is very informative, I'm sure in time, I'll figure it all out, thanks!
    Why would you upgrade the brakes? Is there something wrong with the brakes?

I'd just throw some new tires, tubes, and Kool Stop brake pads on and ride the thing. Might want to consider a tune-up just to make sure everything is good to go but there's no reason you should just abandon it, it's not like some insane sea change has occurred in aluminum hardtails over the past 9 years.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You're right. I read that somewhere on here last night too. I've got the tires and the tubes, now I'll do the tune up and slap some pads on. Thanks, I just didn't realize how much has changed with components and what not.