Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Keep '03 Epic or buy '04 Epic or SJ FSR???

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bird 
#1 ·
Being the MTBR newbie that I am, I posted the following in the Specialized forum. I thought I'd give it some play in the What to buy forum as well:

I currently ride an '03 Epic Comp that I am thrilled with; but, I also have a broken arm that will prevent me from riding my beloved Epic until mid-summer. Come August, I have the ability to purchase either of the following 2004 models at a very attractive price:

Knowing that I have access to the 2004 models, I have a friend that is hammering me to sell him my Epic Comp. I'm not racing - or I would definitely stay with an Epic - but I also haven't ridden the SJ FSR's and thus can't make a fair comparison. If you had your pick between these two bikes for your do-all XC/All Mountain ride, which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your help,

IG

After thought: Prior to my Epic I was riding an S-Works Steel hardtail. Not knowing anything different, the Epic was a quantum leap forward in all respects. I love the split personality of the Epic - hardtail when it can/should be and FSR when it needs to be.

I do most of my riding in and around Salt Lake City with a trip to Moab every once in a while. I'm not dropping anything big, nor do I live for downhilling everything - you have to earn the descent. ;) Wet weather riding is also a rarity in this desert, so disk brakes are more a luxury (?) than necessity.

I want a well rounded, do-all XC/All Mountain bike. I'm not in the least bit unhappy with my current bike and thus could easily choose the '04 Epic Pro . . . . I just wonder if I'm leaving something on the table in the Stumpjumer. :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
The epic is pure xc bike as is the stumpjumper but the stumpy is closer to all-mountain than epic.The 04 epic has improved from 03,lighter frame and smarter brain"adjustability".
I can't imagine you being disappointed with either bike.
I have a 04 stumpjumper elite disk and could'nt be more pleased.I would have to assume the epic would climb better"brain" but can't complain.
The epic is simply more of a racier bike while the stumpy sure holds its own the the xc world.Do you have a coin handy?.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.