View Poll Results: Have you heard of the K2 Sidewinder FS?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 50.00%
  • No

4 50.00%
    Salsa Shark

K2 Sidewinder FS

Hey, has anyone heard of the K2 Sidewinder FS? It isn't on the K2 site, and I can't find it anywhere! I think I got ripped off when I bought it. It is a full suspension XC bike.

I'll post some pictures of it when I get back home on Wednesday. It would also be great if anyone knows the approximate value of the bike, because I am looking to sell it, and willing to to anyone on here through eBay.

You can see some info on it by looking at my current bike set-up in my profile.

Freshly Fujified

What I found

A quick google search showed the bike at SuperPawn and ztradingpost (looks to be the same company) at a list price of $199.99, web price $112.49. It's a department store bicycle, more than likely.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You can find that exact bike at Sportmart or Garts Sports for around $250. It's a bike that K2 puts out to sell in these stores. Low-end components, mechanical disc brakes, Suntour...you get the idea.

Salsa Shark
    Thanks guys. That's useful information. It scared me a bit when I couldn't find it on the K2 site.

Salsa Shark
    It sucks, today I was just riding when I got a stick stuck in my spokes, which then continued to rip my derailer and derailer hanger right off of the bike. So now I am selling the bike with everything except for the derailer and derailer hanger. So if you want it, PM me, and tell me what you would pay, and we'll do the transaction through eBay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... WooooHoooo!!!

Dude! I'm ROLMAO! The second to last pic says it all. I got screwed and I know it! Just goes to show ya, Shoulda checked with the MTB review board guys FIRST! We'd have kept you from making that mistake. Man my sides hurt, sorry but you really hit the funny bone!
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

Salsa Shark
    wait a second, so you're telling me there's a way I could have prevented this?

mtbr member

Prevention

Quote Originally Posted by bedheadben
    wait a second, so you're telling me there's a way I could have prevented this?
    I think he means that some research on the Board might have talked you out of buying this bike.

BTW, what did you pay for it?
    Semper Vigilans

Salsa Shark
    $200. Oh, so that's what he meant!

mtbr member
    Probably not worth it to eBay it.

Just sell it outright to someone, or get it fixed and ride it til more stuff breaks and the bike is DBR, then get something better.

The damage doesn't look too bad, maybe replce the derailleur hanger and bolt, maybe the deraillleur too.

Use the time to find a better bike for your next buy.
    Semper Vigilans

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Exactly!

$200. Oh, so that's what he meant!
    Yes, that is what I meant. A lot of people post here asking about the great deal they saw at some big box store. The forum group is pretty unified in telling them to buy from a reputable bike shop that will stand behind the product. It may cost a bit more up front but it tends to be a pay me now or pay me later deal. We could have warned about the K2 brand, which you apparently trusted, on a low end bike. I'm certainly not saying a bike shop could have prevented a stick getting caught and taking out the derailleur but at least you would have a shop that would (possibly) cut you a deal on fixing it. On to the bike at hand. I would go to a shop and see if they can piece it together. They may have a cheap deraillier that would work. I guess I would try to unload it through the local papers, side of the road, anywhere advertising won't cost much or shipping won't be too much. Good luck.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

Salsa Shark
    Yeah, I went to Spoke 'n Wheel, (where I normally get stuff, just not this bike because I got it as a gift), and they got me a new deraillleur, chain, and hanger, and did all the repairs for $45! And, the new deraillleur is better than the original one!

Oh, and by the way, while I was at Spoke 'n Wheel, I bought a 2005 Big Hit FSR with all the stock parts (just the 2006 versions of them) for $1500! I am getting it on April 2nd, because it is on layaway until then (birthday).

ballbuster

heh.

... wecome to bikes with gears. Every bike, and I mean, every bike on the planet with a derailleur, no matter what you spend on it, is prone to a stick getting sucked up in the derailleur and taking it out. Granted, the rear derailleur is chincy-er than most, but heck, just repalce it! Thirty bucks later, and you'll be climbing your favorite steeps again.

Salsa Shark
    yeah, but the thing that sucked was that I was coming down from a downhill single track that is a few miles long, and it was already dark. I was just lucky someone happened to drive by on this lonely dirt road and pick me amd my bike up and give us a ride back home.

Salsa Shark
    Oh, and just to show how weak this bike is, the other day I gapped a head high seven stair, and the front derailleur broke! Now I am going to have to go and get that fixed!

Freshly Fujified

Your next ride

Oh, and just to show how weak this bike is, the other day I gapped a head high seven stair, and the front derailleur broke! Now I am going to have to go and get that fixed!
    Your next ride is going to be in an ambulance, bro. Not to sound like a jerk, but you know the bike isn't fit for this kind of riding, yet you're doing urban with it? You're asking for trouble, IMO.

Think about it.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Salsa Shark
    Thank you, you don't sound like a jerk to me. Luckily, my BigHit FSR is coming.

Freshly Fujified

Kewl

Thank you, you don't sound like a jerk to me. Luckily, my BigHit FSR is coming.
    Would hate to see you get hurt. Sounds like you've got a really nice ride on the way. When does the new bike arrive?

Salsa Shark
    April 2nd. Only 46 more days...
    Last edited by bedheadben; 02-15-2006 at 07:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have the same exact bike and the same exact thing happened to me. Your pics look identical to my bike. I also need to buy a derailer and hanger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Can you tell me the type of parts you got, maybe the serial # or part #. website would be helpfull too so that i can order the same things as you
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by david7 View Post
    Can you tell me the type of parts you got, maybe the serial # or part #. website would be helpfull too so that i can order the same things as you
    Thanks
    You do realize this is a 7 year old thread right?
    I seriously doubt the original poster even has this bike anymore....