mtbr member
    Feb 2004

k2 2002 flying monkey for $500 a good deal?

I was wondering if you guys think a 2002 K2 Flying Monkey for $500 is a really good deal or only an okay one. It says its about 50% off so I'm not sure what to think. They have a few bikes that are on sale HERE and I was looking at the k2 flying and brass monkey, the iron horse sinister comp, and the iron horse '04 rogue. My price range is about 500-600 so any advice would be great

Stand back

yeah

It's got roughly the same components as my friend's '02 Stinky that retailed for $1500. Granted the Stinky is a fs and this is a hardtail, but I'd say it's a good deal. Look at it this way - the Avid discs are worth $120 + the wheels another $100 + the fork $180 + the shifters/ der/ cranks $120 = $500
    So it's like getting a frame and the rest of the build for free...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ke101
    I was wondering if you guys think a 2002 K2 Flying Monkey for $500 is a really good deal or only an okay one. It says its about 50% off so I'm not sure what to think. They have a few bikes that are on sale HERE and I was looking at the k2 flying and brass monkey, the iron horse sinister comp, and the iron horse '04 rogue. My price range is about 500-600 so any advice would be great
    I'm in about the same price range you are in. Everytime I think I've found my "great deal" I see something else.

I've all but decided to get an '04 Jamis Durango SX and then I see the bikes on Supergo.

I like the monkeys but I think the ones they have in stock are too small for me (6'2", 30" inseam) but the '4 Rouge and the Sinister Comp look really attractive.

I've looked mostly at hardtails because of the ability to get better comps for the money but that FS Sinister may just get my money now. Anyone have feed back on the Sinister Comp?
    They tell me I'm too old for toys. I say children are too young to appreciate them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bought that same bike for my son.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ke101
    Nice specs. Sturdily built. Be aware it is a heavy ride...33 pounds. It has a lot of heavy components on it like a downhill stem and bars and fat Geax tires. Not ideal for racing but great for bashing.