mtbr member

Just bought a KHS XC-004

So I picked up one from craigslist for $400. It's my first full suspension. My hard tail is a 17" and I'm 5'8 in height. This one is labeled as large but I'm not sure exactly what the size of the frame is. It seems to be in pretty good shape but it is on the heavy side for an "XC" bike. My guess would be 26lbs. As far as the fitment goes for me it seems to be comfortable, the top tube is the same length as my 17" so it feels comfotable and I don't have any problems standing with the bike between my legs but the bottom bracket is a little higher so it's going to raise my center of gravity a little.

Tomorrow will be my first trail ride with it so I guess I'll report back on anything I like/don't like about having a larger frame and full susp.

What do you guys think?

KHS Bicycles :: XC004

Low saddles save balls.

You win again, gravity!

mtbr member
    First ride report:

So after taking this bike out on the trails I'm happy to say that the large frame is not a problem for me at all. In fact it feels better than my 17" did. My only real problem with the bike is that it's so heavy. You really feel it when you pull up on the bars. The weird thing though is that it really gets up and goes without having to put too much power into it. It really climbs, even going up some of the steepest parts that I ride which is a nice surprise since I thought I would be struggling to make it up with a heavier bike. You almost forget how heavy it is until you try to pull up. I'll be putting the stem from my specialized on it because it's at least an inch shorter which will make it feel more comfortable I think.

The previous owner cut the bars and the grips hang off about 1/4" which is uncomfortable so I'll be putting my standard length bars on it. There's no way to just push up the brake levers and shifters because the shifters will get stuck on the curved part of the bar which throws off the position of the triggers compared to where your hands sit on the grips if that makes sense. I think putting the longer bars on it with help with lifting the front end since I'm able to use more muscles with a wider stance. I've never heard of cuting the bars but he said it's for faster turns which makes sense to me but even watching some of my mt. bike videos I don't see anyone riding with short bars. Is this common?
    Low saddles save balls.

You win again, gravity!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Cutting handlebars is common. Especially with the 680mm and wider bars that come on most bikes now, trimming them to fit the rider is pretty normal.

It looks like a decent bike for $400. But do you actually ride it with the saddle that low? If so it might be too big for you. If it is a large, with a 605mm top tube, it would be way big for you at 5' 8" unless you have very long arms.

FYI, there is no way that bike is 26lbs. Its probably closer to 32lbs which is why it feels so heavy.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Cutting handlebars is common. Especially with the 680mm and wider bars that come on most bikes now, trimming them to fit the rider is pretty normal.

It looks like a decent bike for $400. But do you actually ride it with the saddle that low? If so it might be too big for you. If it is a large, with a 605mm top tube, it would be way big for you at 5' 8" unless you have very long arms.

FYI, there is no way that bike is 26lbs. Its probably closer to 32lbs which is why it feels so heavy.

Yeah 32 sounds more like it. I took the photo after cleaning the bike so I just threw the seat back on, when I rode it I only had the seat up about 1.5" so does that mean it's too large? Like I said it feels more comfortable than my 17" which always made me feel cramped.

I'll ride it a couple more times and if it doesnt work out I'll just swap the parts onto my Specialized, no big deal
    Last edited by ridingaddict; 09-23-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    Low saddles save balls.

You win again, gravity!