mtbr member

Just another "Suggest me a bike" thread

Hey this is my first post on MTBR forums and I'm looking to get back in to mountainbiking more than I have done in the last several years.

My current rig is a GT Karakoram from about 1995; chromoly frame, many stock parts but I replaced the headset and the stem and I had upgraded the drivetrain with XT, added some clipless pedals, and replaced the rigid fork with a Manitou FS Ti fork around 1998. Unfortunately, it's so old that it can't be upgraded (had to replace a shifter with Alivo because they don't make a 24spd XT anymore, can't mount disc brakes, etc.)

I have looked at a few bikes in big box stores like Dick's or even bike-specific stores nearby, and they all seemed super heavy in comparison to the Karakoram.

I'm looking for a lightweight hardtail, preferably 100mm of travel in the front, disc brakes, and mid-level components/drivetrain (I'm not a racer or anything, but I don't want the cheapest heaviest sh*t they make, either). I have never ridden a 29'er but the big tire single-speed idea intrigues me and I notice the new Karakoram is a 29'er so I would definitely consider staying loyal to this bike model if the price is right!

I used to read all the mags (before the internet) and thought I knew my stuff back in the day but I've been so far out of the loop for the last decade that I really don't know anything about which brands are good anymore or what I should expect to spend etc.

What sort of $$$ will I need to spend to get a bike that meets these requirements? What are some options that you'd suggest for me?

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Z View Post
    What sort of $$$ will I need to spend to get a bike that meets these requirements?
    Your requirements are too vague. What do you consider a lightweight hardtail? 18lb? 20lb? 25lb?
    Essentially every pound cut will cost you a few hundred dollars.
    Sub 20lb will cost you in the thousands. Sub 30 will cost you in the hundreds.

It's really best if you give a price range you can afford or are willing to spend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Your requirements are too vague. What do you consider a lightweight hardtail? 18lb? 20lb? 25lb?
    Essentially every pound cut will cost you a few hundred dollars.
    Sub 20lb will cost you in the thousands. Sub 30 will cost you in the hundreds.

It's really best if you give a price range you can afford or are willing to spend.
    I'm gonna say $1000 max, knowing that if I start looking at $1000 bikes I'll end up buying one that costs $1400. I have a funny way of upselling myself. Salesmen probably love me.

Sub 20 is out of the question. I think 25-27 lbs or so would be good. Then again, I have no idea how much my old one weighs. I should probably step on a scale with it and figure that out, eh?

This may not be the best comparison but it is the only one I have: my wife has a recent (2-3yr old) GT Aggressor. I know this is an entry-level department store bike but honestly my old Karakoram feels like it weighs half as much. I have tried the "pick it up and see what it feels like test" on other, more expensive bikes ($1100 Treks), but I get the same ton-of-bricks feel.

mtbr member

Smile All Nice Bikes

Hey there friend!

These are my suggestions. All well within your proposed budget:

Name:  A Rock Hopper7775.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  93.2 KB
    Specialized Rock Hopper Expert

Just another "Suggest me a bike" thread-11_durango3_bl.jpg
    Jamis Durango 3

Just another "Suggest me a bike" thread-g_2011_kar1_grn.jpg
    The NEW GT Karakoram (But only in Aluminum this time 'round)..

Good Luck!
    Last edited by MoabiSlim; 05-27-2011 at 12:58 AM.
    God gave birds, wings to fly .... He gave us, Jamis!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoabiSlim View Post
    Hey there friend!

These are my suggestions. All well within your proposed budget:

Specialized Rock Hopper Expert

Jamis Durango 3

GT Karakoram (But only in Aluminum this time 'round)..

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the suggestions! So the Karakoram is a 29'er but not a single speed. That alleviates some concerns, 29er is a change to begin with but a single-speed and 29er might be too different from what I'm used to riding. Given the good experience I've had with this brand in the past, I may lean that way but I will look at the other options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David Z View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! So the Karakoram is a 29'er but not a single speed. That alleviates some concerns, 29er is a change to begin with but a single-speed and 29er might be too different from what I'm used to riding. Given the good experience I've had with this brand in the past, I may lean that way but I will look at the other options.
    Just remember that GT has different ownership than it did when you bought your last bike. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but I would not rely so much on your past bike experience. Check out the GT forum here first.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    OK, finally put mine on the scale with me today, weighed in twice with & without the bike and both times my old bike's weight has come in at 27.4 with two water bottle cages on it, so it's a shade over 27 lbs.

Prefer to keep in the same weight range.