mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Joshua X for first bike?

Hey guys this would be the first time owning a Mountain Bike. Im not looking to do anything serious just hit up trails on the weekend for fun.. its more of a cardio thing for me because I am a gym rat who loves to lift weights. Im 6'1 235 and have a chance to pick up the Gary Fisher Joshua X for 300 bucks... Its the medium size frame is this a good deal and will the bike work for me?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You'll probably get all kinds of people telling you that the Joshua has an out-dated suspension design, mainly that it bobs alot. I had a carbon-fiber version of that bike (Trek Y22) and it actually was a blast to ride. It did have a fair amount of suspension motion, but I noticed it only on the road. On the trail it was great.

I might be concerned about the size, though.You being over 6 feet tall, if your legs are not abnormally short, you'll have a LOT of seatpost showing. That might be OK for a guy under 180 pounds, but probably not for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    at 6'3" a medium frame is going to be to small in my opinion. Im 6' and ride a large frame on every ride i've tried(which is a lot) i've have tried out medium frames and they dont feels good to me. Your going to feel to cramped and uncomfortable. This will turn into you not enjoying the ride and then not getting out there to ride. I would pass...

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I concur. I was almost exactly your height and weight when I was riding my Joshua, and you'll definitely want the large frame.

I actually owned two Joshuas -- one a '96, which was warrantied and replaced with a '99, which massaged the pivot placement and switched over to Fisher's Genesis Geometry.

Once paired up with the right shock -- a tuneable Cane Creek AD-10 -- the bike was great. Not an "Ace" by any stretch, but it was a wonderfully fun bike to descend on, not a half-bad climber, wasn't overly heavy, and was super-reliable.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Alright cool ill look on craigslist or even here to find some good deals on bikes in san diego thanks guys... So go with a large frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, that sizing advice was specifically for the Joshua. The part of the frame that holds the seatpost is only 4" long or so, so if you put a really long seatpost on there the "ripping" forces would be huge at your weight. The frame would probably break off right there. If you're talking about another type of bike, one with a full seat tube, you might be OK. Measure your actual inseam (not your pants inseam). If you have a particular frame in mind, you can look at the manufacturer's website to see their fit recommendations.

If your actual inseam is over 34", you probably want to be on a 20" or so frame. Top-tube length is important too. It might help to have an experienced friend to give you fit advice. Definitely try out any bike before you buy it.
    Last edited by LarryG; 08-08-2005 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling