• 07-19-2013
    ratherbeintobago
    Jet 9 vs Spider vs Mach 429 vs what?
    Short travel alloy 29ers.

Any thoughts on the above, or any other suggestions?
  • 07-19-2013
    T.W.O.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    Short travel alloy 29ers.

Any thoughts on the above, or any other suggestions?

Ibis ripley:)
  • 07-19-2013
    ratherbeintobago
    Quote:

Originally Posted by T.W.O. View Post
    Ibis ripley:)

Not alloy, though :-P
  • 07-19-2013
    T.W.O.
    It's just as good if not better.
  • 07-19-2013
    ratherbeintobago
    Aye, maybe, but it costs more and carbon and I don't have a good record.
  • 07-19-2013
    T.W.O.
    May be a Trance 29er. Sorry you don't have good experience with carbon, I've never had any issue with one in any carbon parts I have, not just bikes, everything.
  • 07-19-2013
    ratherbeintobago
    Quote:

May be a Trance 29er. Sorry you don't have good experience with carbon, I've never had any issue with one in any carbon parts I have, not just bikes, everything.

Thanks, but I was thinking something a little less mainstream than a Trance, and it'd be an Anthem anyway :-P

When I say I've not got a good record with carbon, I've utterly destroyed one carbon road frame in a crash, and had another crack; given my lack of skill I don't trust it off road...
  • 07-19-2013
    Zachariah
    Rocky Mountain Element 930/950/970 and Instinct 950 are ALL sweet riding bikes that feel plush, with that almost endless travel.
  • 07-19-2013
    JACKL
    Check out the GT Sensor 9r. That's what I bought after nearly buying a 429 or Sultan.
  • 07-19-2013
    T.W.O.
    I also like Santa Cruz tallboy, I also comes in alloy. If you like dw link then also check out turner.

My first bike the Cannondale raven was a carbon frame I crashed on that bike many times and never had a problem. I didn't even worry about the fact that it was a carbon bike. All that said there's no amount of money would buy you comfort so buy what you feel confidence, you'd ride more and harder:).
  • 07-20-2013
    ratherbeintobago
    Quote:

I also like Santa Cruz tallboy, I also comes in alloy. If you like dw link then also check out turner.

If the Turner Czar came in alloy, it'd be on my list. I gather the Sultan has a reputation for being a bit, well, barge-like. I hear Santa Cruz bikes have shortish top-tubes - is that true?

I'll have a look at that Rocky Mountain - thanks.
  • 07-20-2013
    T.W.O.
    Yes Santa Cruz is a bit more compact than other brands similar to some Cannondale models. Tallboy offer great geometry and ride handling everyone I know who has been on the original tallboy likes it, myself included.

Speaking of less mainstream, you may want to check out the Zorro, same designer as bow-ti and silk-ti(original Ripley)http://www.castellanodesigns.com/Zorro.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD