Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Jamis vs. Giant, steel vs. aluminum

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  chickenlittle 
#1 ·
My beloved Trek 4300 was stolen from my front porch two weeks ago, so I'm in the market for a new bike. I need something that will be comfy enough to commute to school, rough enough for some cross-country riding, and in the $300 range.

Today I test rode:
- Gary Fisher Tarpon: didn't like it too much, read some crappy reviews, so now it's off my list
- Jamis Cross Country 1.0: Nice ride, I was impressed.
- Giant Boulder: couldn't ride the SE because they didn't have one assembled in my size, but they said I could go back later today and they'd have one. I haven't gone back yet... but I did ride the Boulder while I was there and I loved it.

I loved the Jamis and the Giant. Jamis is $309, Boulder is $249, Boulder SE is $279. So, two questions...

1. Cross Country or Boulder... any opinions? They both fit comfortably, shift smoothly, etc.
2. Boulder or Boulder SE... steel or aluminum.... any opinions? Even though I know the difference is minimal, the steel Boulder just felt so much smoother than the aluminum bikes that I've ridden. Since it won't add much weight, should I just save the $30, go for the smoother ride, and forget everyone who says that real mountain bikes must be aluminum?

Any input greatly appreciated :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like the all the only difference between the bikes is the Forks and frames (possibly the rims, but I can't tell). The Forks looks like the giants have 75 mm vs 63 for the Jamis. However the boulder doesn't appear to have preload so you might ride low in the suspension if you're heavier then average.

"Steel is real" I agree steel is a bit smoother then aluminum (I ride a steel road bike and steel ST mt bike). However running lower pressure in bigger tires does more for shock absorption (more pinch flats but more comfort). Unfortunately at this level it's cheap steel so it weighs a couple pounds more then the aluminum frames and definitely is not as durable.

I hate to say it, but if you're going to be doing much off-road riding you'll want to spend a bit more. Bikes under about $600 (where you start to see Shimano Deore) have pretty heavy components that aren't very reliable. That's not to say that can't go off road (I started on a GF Marlin and road it into the ground in a year), but that if you ride off road much (> twice/month) you'll need to replace components for more then the cost of a new bike. On the Marlin I went through a hub, freewheel body, a couple cassettes, chains, and saddles (fortunately only the chains were out of pocket, rest were warrantee) and after a year needed a new cassette, crankset, bottom bracket which would've cost me about as much as the bike itself. Granted I road 2-3 times a week all on trails and did minimal maintenance.

For around town and occasional mountain rides, I'd get the Steel boulder and if you ride a bunch in the mountains then buy a used mt bike locally.

#3 ·
thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I should add some other facts...

I'm a female (5'3" and 140 lbs), so I would assume that my weight shouldn't be too much of an issue on the suspension. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I know that for a "good bike," I'll need to spend more. There's a few reasons not to, though...
1. No matter how much I enjoy riding, I'm in veterinary school and there simply aren't enough hours in the day! I realistically only plan to do trail riding about twice a month, unless something changes in my schedule.
2. I'm in Florida, so the trails around here are pretty easy on my bike. I'm also a chicken, so I tend to ride around the really big log jumps, which means my bike doesn't get subjected to many major dropping forces.
3. I'll be done with vet school in 1.5 years, at which point I'll have an income and THEN I'll work on buying a decent mountain bike AND a decent road bike!

The only other thing I noticed is that the Boulder has an Altus rear derailleur, while the Boulder SE has an Acera. I know Acera is better, but how much of a difference will it really make?

Thanks for the help, spinjocky!

#4 ·
Steel Boulder

chickenlittle said:
Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I should add some other facts...

I'm a female (5'3" and 140 lbs), so I would assume that my weight shouldn't be too much of an issue on the suspension. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I know that for a "good bike," I'll need to spend more. There's a few reasons not to, though...
1. No matter how much I enjoy riding, I'm in veterinary school and there simply aren't enough hours in the day! I realistically only plan to do trail riding about twice a month, unless something changes in my schedule.
2. I'm in Florida, so the trails around here are pretty easy on my bike. I'm also a chicken, so I tend to ride around the really big log jumps, which means my bike doesn't get subjected to many major dropping forces.
3. I'll be done with vet school in 1.5 years, at which point I'll have an income and THEN I'll work on buying a decent mountain bike AND a decent road bike!

The only other thing I noticed is that the Boulder has an Altus rear derailleur, while the Boulder SE has an Acera. I know Acera is better, but how much of a difference will it really make?

Thanks for the help, spinjocky!
Steel Boulder, becase your reaction was "...loved it"
other factors do not make any difference: the key is to buy the bike now and enjoy it and then sell it when you're ready. got helmet, gloves, front & rear blinker safety lights ($10 each)?

#5 ·
thanks!

I went back to the shop today, and they had a Boulder SE assembled in my size so I tried that. Loved it, bought it, brought it home, rode it around the neighborhood a few times, and it's now resting quietly in my kitchen wondering when we're going out to play :)

Thanks for your help!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.