mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Jamis Durango Sport SX or Specialized Rockhopper A1

I am looking at the above bikes. My budget is approx $500 and I have found both at my LBS for around $500. I am pretty much a Newb, but after researching a bunch on the web, it looks like the Rockhopper is more popular. I will mostly be using it for transportation to/from work. Mostly streets or paved bike trails, but I want something I can take off-road as well. Once I get back into shape, I may try some mild trails. The Jamis has disc brakes, and I have read not to get disc brakes on a $500 bike because they are junk (is this true?). Like I said, this bike will receive light duty 98% of the time. I am riding a Wal-mart special right now, but for all the riding I will be doing (approx 15-20 miles a day) I want something that will last. I really don't want to have to go out and replace a bunch of parts either. I keep reading about how great these bikes are, but that I have to replace this and that.

One last question about weight. The Jamis website says it weighs 30.25 lbs. Does anyone know what the stock Rockhopper weighs?
    Last edited by hotwls13; 09-29-2005 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Wrong model

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Bump

Just a bump to see if anyone has an opinion on these bikes. I am also going to throw in the GT Avalanche 2.0 as an option. I looked at one today, and it looks pretty good.