mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Jamis Durango 2.0 Upgrades?

about 4 weeks ago i bought my 1st ride in quite some time, a jamis 2.0 durango i got it on clearance for 639.00. anyway its a pretty heavy ride at 30lbs, i was wondering if this is a bike that is worth throwing money into upgrades to lighten this pig up, or just ride it for the rest of the season and trade it this winter for something better. i overall like the bike but it does feel heavy when i ride and can really notice it when i climb. i know swapping out wheels,bars,stems,posts and so forth will help, but like i said is this frame worth the upgrades or should i just wait and swap the whole thing. i have noticed jamis rides are a little heavier than some other bikes. just need some opinions, thanks.

mtbr member
    Its a pretty decent bike the way it is. Unless something breaks or you dont like the feel of something like the shifters or brake levers then I probably wouldnt replace anything. After a year you might consider selling the bike and uprgading to a lighter race grade bike like the Jamis Dragon, Stumpjumper or Giant XTC Alliance. The overall weight isnt too bad at 30 pounds. To get down under 26 or so will usually cost $1100 or more for a new bike.