Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Jamis Dakar XC Pro Frame fully

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  pimpbot 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at getting A 03' Dakar Xc Pro Frame with Fox RL rear shock. It's somewhat of a lightweight frame 5.6 lbs, but I'm no lightweight. 235 lbs.and losing ride mostly XC with very little jumps. A good deal and brand new. Most reviews were possitive
Just looking to smooth out the trails with out having a heavier light freeride bike or heavy XC bike. The 3.5" of travel is sufficient for me. The Dakar XLT using the same type of frame with longer travel.
Any heavier rider out there with good success with this or any other lighter XC full Suspension?
Thanks

#3 ·
Thing is though, would you really notice the extra weight of a frame that weighs say a pound or two more? Acme may be right, hard to determine what some of your questions are without punctuation, but I'm guessing you're mostly concernerd about long term durability, and are tempted by the price. You can get more durable frames at a good price if you look, like the Azonic Propulsion with Romic on it for little more than a grand. You're about 75 lb heavier than most XC riders, so you have to factor in that as much as the type of terrain you ride.

#4 ·
I rode Downieville with a guy that weighs about 210-220 on one of these frames and he had no problems with it. He has ridden it quite a bit and no issues. Note this is definetely a cross country frame and rides more on the firm side than the plush side. That said, unlike the 04 Jamis frames, it is a true 4 bar suspension bike. For the $499 that they are selling these frames for at Colorado Cyclist, I think they are a great deal. If you are building a bike from scratch, you are still better off buying a complete bike like a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.

#5 · (Edited)
Using parts off hardtail

CDMC said:
I rode Downieville with a guy that weighs about 210-220 on one of these frames and he had no problems with it. He has ridden it quite a bit and no issues. Note this is definetely a cross country frame and rides more on the firm side than the plush side. That said, unlike the 04 Jamis frames, it is a true 4 bar suspension bike. For the $499 that they are selling these frames for at Colorado Cyclist, I think they are a great deal. If you are building a bike from scratch, you are still better off buying a complete bike like a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR.
I'm using most of the parts off my hardtail. Yes I am picking it up of Colorado Cyclist. Most part on my hardtail have been replaced and in good condition, but the frame is a little too big, and just too firm on the butt. Complete Spec Stumpy is a cool bike also, Test rode an 03' and while spec'd fairly nice. I absolulutely hated the Manitou Axel fork. It would have costed me about 900 more up here in Canada. I realize the 04' comp comes spec'd with a
Fox. Nice fork but limited budget. I still love my 01' Manitou SXR and it's held up fine for the 2 years I've had it. I will Replace if needed.
Thanks for your input.

#7 ·
As a former Dakar owner let me tell you...

...that you may be a on the heavy side for that frame. I weight 200lbs and broke a Dakar Expert frame (head tube cracked) so if you weight 235lbs I would really think about it. The XLT is a more rugged frame than the Dakar and might be best suited for you.

Also the Jamis warranty is not what it used to be, they're getting unresponsive and/or slow to respond to owners or resellers of their products.

#10 ·
What year frame?

DiRt DeViL said:
...that you may be a on the heavy side for that frame. I weight 200lbs and broke a Dakar Expert frame (head tube cracked) so if you weight 235lbs I would really think about it. The XLT is a more rugged frame than the Dakar and might be best suited for you.

Also the Jamis warranty is not what it used to be, they're getting unresponsive and/or slow to respond to owners or resellers of their products.
I've heard some things about their warranty. You're right, the manufacturer needs to look after the consumer after purchase. I did contact some owners on the site with same frame and they reported no problems with the frame or rear shock. Some of my physical status, and none reported breakage. I can only hope I get a good one.
One other question., Did you get warranty on the frame?

#12 ·
4-Bar vs Faux Bar

MegaVolt said:
Could you please explain?
I can't see the difference between 03 (red and white) and 04 (silver/grey) frames, at least by looking at their pictures. Is there really? :confused:
A true 4-bar suspension as the pivot at the rear dropout at the chainstay/dropout point, at the bottom of the dropout.

Somebody else used the term 'Faux Bar' on this board, and I thought that was brilliant. 'Faux bar' has the pivot point on the top of the dropout, on the seatstay/top dropout junction. I have never owned a true 4-bar but aparently this changes the rear axle path from a pure arc around the BB pivot to a more S shape. What this does specifically, I don't know, but those who champion this design say it gives a more plush ride and more pedal bob resistance.

Personally, I have a Faux Bar K2 Razorback SL, which I love. I am considering a Stumpjumper FSR for my next frame, tho. that is, unless I win the lottery, in which case I'll get a Tracer or Racer X (not an Ellsworth).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.