mtbr member
    Jan 2011

J&L Titanium MTB/Mountain bike frames

Whats the opinion of these ti frames advertised on e-bay? they want $850 and offer it in the size range I need of 20". I am 6'-3" 240 lbs

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    No warranty, the dropouts look like a crack ready to happen, no replaceable derailleur hanger... and no brace between the seatstays ? huh ?

I would go with this and sell the fork if you don't need it, you can get about $400 for it. So in the end you'd be spending less $. They have XL in stock.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...TI_29_2010.htm

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

There is a cross brace on the seat stays?

I am asking about the drop out - if replaceable is an option. The motobecane looks nice also, but would not like to deal with getting rid of the fork.

Just curious if any other have actually purchased a frame from this guy and their actual experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails J&L Titanium MTB/Mountain bike frames-440871252_o.jpg  

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Thats not the frame I saw listed for 850. That obviously does have a seatstay brace but the dropouts still look shady and theres no separate hanger. Anyway, I'd still take nice strong breezer style dropouts and a warranty.
    I don't like how the rear end of that frame is put together, not one bit. You're a big guy, you don't see an issue with your weight pushing on those spots where the seatstays meet the dropout plates ? I do. Look at the moto frame to see how they do it.

I can't fathom how taking a few minutes to put a fork on ebay and ship it is so much trouble that you'd spend more money on a frame that is obviously lower quality with no after sale support. But hey, its your money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Your feed back is greatly appreciated. Just wanted to make sure we were talking apples to apples and your points are very valid. I am not ready to pop just yet on a new frame and have time to shop, listen and learn the advantages and pit falls with the technologies out there.

much a appreciated!