Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

It's time for a new bike

778 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  overboostin 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm getting into mountain biking and looking to pick up something for around $400. I've been looking at Specialized Rock Hoppers, but I also found a Specialized Ground Control FSR. He's asking $400. Here's are a few pictures:

I was looking at size 17 bikes because I'm 5'7" but that one is a 19". I am 200lbs though so idk if that would make a difference. Anyway, my question is what do you think, does that bike look any good? If so, what do you think a fair price would be? Should I stick to a newer model rock hopper? If not specialized, what else would you suggest for someone like me. I'll mainly do xc and hopefully some downhill now and then.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Several things:

1.) I'm 5'7" too and I think a 19" is generally-speaking way too big - I tend to like 15"-16".
2.) How old is that bike? Not even looking at those ridiculously bigass barends, that RS has boots which makes me think its a little on the older side so is it time to replace the fork? Is $400 too much for a rig of that age in light of the fork question? What other components might need replacing/upgrading given their age? The bar looks amazingly narrow and uncomfortable just for starters plus that's a long stem. I wouldn't use that for even limited light DH use due to both stability issues as well as limited braking power compared to what's out there today in terms of hydro brakes or at least mech. brakes like bb7s if you're sticking to XC only.
3.) Curious, just how heavy is that ride?

#4 ·
thanks for both your replies!

that bike is either a 1999 or 2000. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet since I'm in RI and the bike is in NH. I was trying to get some feedback on it before I took the long drive to check it out, so I don't know the weight or anything. Think I should pass on it and stick with the RH? Any suggestions besides Specialized?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.