mtbr member
    Nov 2010

ITM Millenium Stem OK for MTB Use?

Hello,

Hope this is the right spot to post this question. If not, sorry.

This past weekend I "upgraded" my old beat up fork with a used one I got off Ebay. The steerer tube was a bit shorter than my previous fork, and even after ditching all of the spacers, I found my stack height 1-2mm too tall. So I went to the local used bike parts shop to see if I could find a solution. I dug through their stem bin and found a nice looking ITM Millenium aluminum stem with a slightly lower stack height. It fit perfectly, and I also bought a used Easton Monkeylite riser bar to get my geometry back to where it should be. Anyway, I was very happy with everything, until I googled the ITM Millenium stem and saw that it's listed as a "road bike stem". It's very lightweight, but not a whimpy looking stem by any means (see photo below). It's made of 7075 aluminum and retails for about $100. I was able to verify that it can be mounted in either direction (rise or drop), but I'm wondering if I can get everyone's opinion on whether it's going to pose any sort of safety hazard on the trail, since it's listed as a road bike stem. Your thoughts are appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Depends on what kind of riding you do. If you are doing hardcore AM or DH, forgettaboutit. XC should be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks! I guess I would describe my style of riding as aggresive XC. I don't drop off anything more than a few feet high, but I do ride some pretty rocky trails at high speed.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buergday
    Thanks! I guess I would describe my style of riding as aggresive XC. I don't drop off anything more than a few feet high, but I do ride some pretty rocky trails at high speed.
    Then you'd be happier with a 4 bolt stem anyway. Use it to see if you like the length, and then get something really designed for the purpose. It'd probably be fine, but this isn't the place to take a chance.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.