mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Iron Horse MKIII Comp or Ibex Ignition Super Pro

I'm looking for a trail bike (around 5 in of travel) that I can climb comfortably with and with good traction on the uphill climbs. I am coming from an old 99 GT hardtail, but recently got back into the sport, am having a blast, and decided I need to upgrade. I am mostly curious about how the IBEX climbs compared to the Iron Horse and which of the bikes is going to be more durable since I tend to fall a lot pushing myself down a new line and would like to be able to take 3-4 ft drops. FYI I am 6'1 175lbs. Part specs are pretty similar...but the IBEX is $300 less direct vs the MKIII off RS. Here are the full specs and respective links. Love to hear your .02

2008 Iron Horse MKIII Comp: http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Hor...category=27532
    Frame: 5" TRAVEL dw-link TRAIL FRAME, 1-1/8" ZEROSTACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER
    Fork: ROCK SHOX RECON AM 327 AIR W/ ALLOY STEERER, 130MM TRAVEL
    Rear Shock: Rock Shox Monarch, 7.5"x2"
    Front Derailleur: SRAM X.7, 34.9MM CLAMP
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
    Shifters: SRAM X.7 TRIGGER
    Brakes Levers: AVID JUICY 5 W/ 185MM FRONT & 160MM REAR ROTORS
    Brakes: AVID JUICY 5 W/ 185MM FRONT & 160MM REAR ROTORS
    Chain: SRAM PC-951 W/ POWERLINK
    Crankset: TRUVATIV FIREX 3.2, 15-17"=170MM, 19-21"=175MM
    Cassette: SRAM PG-970, 11/34T, 9 SPEED
    Pedals: CRANK BROS SMARTY CLIPLESS

Bottom Bracket: TRUVATIV GIGA-X, 73MM
    Headset: ORBIT Z, ZEROSTACK
    Saddle: WTB SILVERADO RACE W/ CROMOLY RAILS
    Seat Post: EASTON EA50, 30.0MM
    Handlebar: EASTON EA50, LOW RISE, 685MM, 31.8MM CLAMP
    Grips: N/A
    Stem: EASTON EA50, 31.8MM CLAMP
    Tires: MAXXIS HIGHROLLER, 2.35" FRONT/2.1" REAR
    Wheelset: ALLOY DISC, 32H/ALLOY DISC, 32H/DT/SWISS X430, 32H/DT/SWISS CHAMPION 2.0 BLACK
    Weight: 29.8
    Color: WHITE SATIN

IBEX Ignition Super Pro: http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-PRO-Details.html
    Frame:6061 Aluminum w/ 120mm Travel
    Fork:Rock Shox Recon 335 Air / 130mm travel w/ Lockout & Air*
    Rear Shock:Rock Shox Ario 2.2 / Air* w/ Lockout
    Shifters:SRAM X9 Trigger
    Front Derailleur:SRAM X9
    Rear Derailleur:SRAM X9
    Crankset:TruVativ Firex 3.3 (44/32/22T)
    Bottom-Bracket:TruVativ Giga X-Pipe w/ Outboard Bearings
    Cassette:SRAM PG-950 (11-34T)
    Chain:KMC Z9200
    Brakes:Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic Discs
    Brake Levers:Avid Juicy 5
    Brake Rotors:Avid G3 Cleansweep (7" = 185mm)
    Rims:WTB SpeedDisc All-Mountain
    Hubs:Formula Disc
    Tires:WTB VelociRaptor (26" x 2.10)
    Headset:Aheadset TH-888S
    Handlebar:Gravity Maximus OS Riser (by FSA)
    Stem::TruVativ XR 4-Bolt OS Alloy
    Seatpost:TruVativ XR Single-Clamp
    Saddle:WTB Pure V Race
    Pedals:Wellgo B008 Alloy Platform

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My .02

Since you are buying online, my guess is that trying to ride either one is a moot point.

So here is the second point:
    - Suspension performance...IH MKIII wins no problem
    - Warranty ...Iron Horse is likely dead and the warranties will be worthless regardless (If IH survives)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Do some research on Iron Horse first. Alot of information out there about the bankruptcy and the warranties. I was in the same boat as you with either the Ibex or the IH and I decided to spend my money on a couple year old Trek.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by micky
    Since you are buying online, my guess is that trying to ride either one is a moot point.

So here is the second point:
    - Suspension performance...IH MKIII wins no problem
    - Warranty ...Iron Horse is likely dead and the warranties will be worthless regardless (If IH survives)
    Having owned both suspension designs...I agree the Iron Horse is hands down better. I actually had to warranty my IH in 2003 (I had the early DW-Link Hollowpoint) and it took them over 4 months to get me a new frame...so even when they were in business they weren't that great. But the DW-Link still ranks as my favorite riding suspension design. I haven't seen much in the way of breakage problems with the MK III but maybe check the IH Forum so see if that's an issue. If it isn't, I'd risk it...plus RS Cycles says they'll honor the warranties (not sure what you'd get for a replacement though) so that might be worth something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Having owned both suspension designs...I agree the Iron Horse is hands down better. I actually had to warranty my IH in 2003 (I had the early DW-Link Hollowpoint) and it took them over 4 months to get me a new frame...so even when they were in business they weren't that great.
    I had a similar warranty experience (3-4 months to get a new frame) in 2006 and then a really good warranty experience in 2008. (I got a replacement front triangle for my 2004 Hollowpoint in about a week.)

Now that they're out of business, I'm very pessimistic about getting any warranty service from whomever buys the IH name. Even if they want to honor old warranties, I doubt that parts (MkIII swingarms) will be available for all who need them.
    But the DW-Link still ranks as my favorite riding suspension design.
    I completely agree. I'll be purchasing another DW-Link bike when my MkIII breaks. I'm leaning toward the Ibis Mojo and Turner 5 Spot.

mtbr member
    I have really been looking at getting an MKiii like that and I have read through the Iron Horse forum. There IS a risk of the rear triable cracking. And I really think four bar link bikes with a seatstay pivot are less effective.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    get a giant trance x. its basically the same bike as a mk3, but much stiffer, much more durable, much (MUCH!) better warranty and service.

only downside is the slightly higher shock ratio and proprietary shock length. if you're a lighter rider, thats perfect for you though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I'll give RS a call next week to see how the warranty works. Obviously if they can't replace a broken swingarm quickly would suck (and basically cost me a season or $500 to buy a new frame)... I'll let you all know how it goes...THanks for the advice... any real reviews on the IBEX would be great too. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I second the Trance X suggestion. It's a pretty nice bike. You could go with the X3 or X2 and end up with a really nice bike for around the price of the MKIII. I actually was in a similar spot the last few weeks and decided to buy a Trance X frame and transfer my Ibex trophy parts over to it. The MKIII comp was high up on my list, but right before I was about to pull the trigger I found out about the broken triangles, Iron horse going out of business and the crap going on with RS, so I decided against that route. I still wanted to get a DWLink like suspension so the Trance X, Trance, Anthem, and several Intense bikes were on my list. In the end it was cheaper to transfer parts then to sell my bike and buy a new X2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I got an 08 Trance X2 for 1350 with 12 month no interest financing from a LBS. Why spend that much money on a defunct bike company online. Not really worth it IMO, that Iron Horse should be getting blown out for like $1000 max at this point in the game.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If I could find that deal I would take it in a heartbeat. All the stores near me don't have much inventory let alone deals

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ill be buying NOTHING but DW-Link bikes after my IH Azure dies (who knows when that will happen this thing is bombproof)

That trance is nice also very similar design to DW-Link. Actually the trance is first on my list if for some reason I cannot afford a DW-Link bike later on.