Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Iron horse hollowpoint or Giant VT2?

523 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  OldTeen 
#1 ·
Hi, i was wondering if anyone had any opinions or experiences with these 2 bikes? The hollowpoint is a sport and is brand new, whereas the VT2 is used. I will mostly be riding trials and wont be doing many big drops. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
HI!

I don't know much about the Iron Horse but they seem to be great bikes... however, i had a VT2 last year and i really liked that bike. It was my first XC dual suspension after many many hardtails! (and many DH bikes also)

I really liked the way the VT rode on descent and on the flat. The bike is easily pushed down the trail. It handles like a freeride bike but has the weight of a XC bike. The best part is that the suspension feels bottomless even at the 5in position. I rode the bike for one year and have never tryed the 5.7in position!!! So that bike must be great for light DHing/FRing on that setup! The only complaint about the VT is the way it handles the climb. It's not the best climber but the bike makes up for it on fast rolling trails and on the downhill.

The parts on the 2004 VT2 are all good. I've switched the fork to a Minute 2 130mm because i wanted to save weight but the minute one seemed to work fine. The wheels stayed true and were rolling smooth. I even liked the Hutchinson tires (that everyone seem to hate)

I really rode my bike last year because it was so much fun. I got tired of my DH bike and sold it because XC was fun again with a dual suspension.

This year i'm getting a Trance 1 that has 4in of travel that should be enough...

If you go with the VT you'll have fun for sure!

Good luck!

#3 ·
jellybean8 said:
Hi, i was wondering if anyone had any opinions or experiences with these 2 bikes? The hollowpoint is a sport and is brand new, whereas the VT2 is used. I will mostly be riding trials and wont be doing many big drops. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I should start by saying I haven't ridden either bike but the IH uses almost the same suspension scheme this year's Giant Trances, Reigns and Faiths. Both are killer bikes with great value parts.

New bikes come with a warranty. Used ones don't.

#4 ·
I agree with Warp on the new vs used issue. Haven't ridden the VT2, but I can say I love my 2003 Hollowpoint frame. Plush on the small stuff, solid enough to take the bigger hits, and a good climber too. Set the sag properly (approx 1/4 travel) & the HP is one of the best 4-5" travel FS bikes you'll find for all-around use. Check out the Iron Horse forum for more opinions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.