Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Iron Horse Azure Sport or MKIII Trail

795 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  clint999 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a tough decision to make. I can't decide if I should get the Iron Horse Azure Sport or the Iron Horse MKIII Trail. If you could provide some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm relatively new to mountain biking and I've been riding a few trials around town. I plan to ride much more trails and my current bike (el cheapo $400 bike) can't handle the trails. It's just broken down too much and I think it's time to upgrade.

Now whichever bike I get, which right now i'm deciding on the Azure Sport or the MKIII Trail, the front & rear derailleurs, shifters and brakes will be switched to Shimano XT which I already have (new in packaging).

The trails I ride are for the most part "intermediate" trails. Nothing too technical and no big drops. At the tops I'll encounter maybe a 3 foot drop. I don't plan on riding anything "advanced", not for the time being at least.

What do you guys think I should get?

#2 ·
You're already thinking of part of the answer - you're thinking of what type of riding you'll be doing.

Also consider how 'light' you ride. What I mean is I've seen guys who are 200+ pounds but don't put a lot of wear on their bikes because they seem to float over the ground, while I've seen 140 pound guys who will thrash the same equipment in a season. If you tend to plow through everything - by all means go for the Mark III over the Azure.

Also consider how both bikes will feel. The Mark III and the Azure should have different personalities on the trail - I have not ridden either - maybe ask in the Iron Horse forum? Which is closer to what you like from a bike? To you want snappier, quick (twitchier) steering, or steady and plush?

If you can get some ride time on either bike - you'll know which one feels better. That'll make the answer easier.

Good luck,

JmZ

#3 ·
You're already thinking of part of the answer - you're thinking of what type of riding you'll be doing.

Also consider how 'light' you ride. What I mean is I've seen guys who are 200+ pounds but don't put a lot of wear on their bikes because they seem to float over the ground, while I've seen 140 pound guys who will thrash the same equipment in a season. If you tend to plow through everything - by all means go for the Mark III over the Azure.

Also consider how both bikes will feel. The Mark III and the Azure should have different personalities on the trail - I have not ridden either - maybe ask in the Iron Horse forum? Which is closer to what you like from a bike? To you want snappier, quick (twitchier) steering, or steady and plush?

If you can get some ride time on either bike - you'll know which one feels better. That'll make the answer easier.

Good luck,

JmZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.